Update problem

I have 12.8.0.4 installed, and if I click on Check for Updates, I get the message Unexpected format of version file ver.txt. Expected Major.Minor.Release.Build.

I’m not able to reproduce that issue in-house. When you get a moment, could you add the following line to your TOAD.INI file, re-launch TOAD, and try it again?

[SETTINGS]

LogActivities=1

This should create a ToadActivities.log file in TOAD Beta’s AppData folder. If you could include the contents of that file here or forward it to me offline, that would be a big help in trying to track down this issue.

Thanks!

-John

It looks like the problem is one of the network security tools that they recently started using here that I had not logged into yet. In the ver.txt there is
html code related to it. I tried replacing that with the version number and got the same error. I then just deleted the ver.txt file to see if it would recreate it and still get the same error. Is there somewhere else that it will look for the file?

Sent: Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:18 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: EXTERNAL: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Update problem

RE: Update problem

Reply by John Bowman

I’m not able to reproduce that issue in-house. When you get a moment, could you add the following line to your TOAD.INI file, re-launch TOAD, and try it again?

[SETTINGS]

LogActivities=1

This should create a ToadActivities.log file in TOAD Beta’s AppData folder. If you could include the contents of that file here or forward it to me offline, that would be a big help in trying
to track down this issue.

Thanks!

-John

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

TOAD will attempt to pull that file each time it checks for an update, so it doesn’t surprise me that you’re still receiving the same error message. For some reason, it sounds like your network security tool is blocking access to TOAD retrieving that file.

My guess is that rather than retrieving the actual file, the network security tool is instead streaming down its own error message, which TOAD believes is the file it needs. You may need to first address the issue being reported by your network security tool (within ver.txt). If that doesn’t work, I’d recommend asking your network security team to add “*.quest.com” to their allowed white list for the tool.

In the meantime, you can always manually download the beta updates from:

www.toadworld.com/.../default.aspx

Hey John,

I recently had a similar problem updating one of my Linux boxes. The “yum” update program was trying to pull an XML file from Oracle’s site, but was saying it was corrupt (and deleting it before I could inspect it). I could download the XML file manually from that box with no problem, though.

After trudging through network and program trace dumps, it turns out that our firewall was specifically blocking the “yum” program only, and replacing the requested file with their fancy webpage, which, in the eyes of yum, was indeed corrupt.

It may be worth asking your network admin if Toad.exe is allowed to get through.

Good luck!

Rich

(and I saw “John” and “jcummings” in previous posts, so my apologies if you’re first name’s not John!)