Using Model Update

To the TDM Team:

I am in the midst of updating about a dozen models. Each update takes a long time due to the fact it is processing triggers that I think are not defined in my alias. I believe that I may have reported this a while back for Reverse Engineering. As a related issue, how can I review and update an alias after it is created?

Thanks,
Dave Reed

Hi Dave,

as not to misunderstand your post and request, could you please specify what you would like to have changed? As far as I get it I think you want to probe on processing triggers while RE or Updating Model, if they couldn’t be omitted somehow when they are not selected in your alias. Am I right? I checked the old post you sent in January, point 2 there (http://modeling.inside.quest.com/message.jspa?messageID=114989#114989).
In fact, I think the most time is taken by searching through the triggers to leave them out. Further processing shouldn’t be time consuming that much, but we will check on this.

To review and update the Saved Aliases you have to go to RE Wizard. You can either Load Alias and jump to the end of the wizard or just select it and go through the steps one by one and review/adjust whatever you want and then save it as the old one alias or as a new one.

Regards,
Lukas

Lucas:

I specify that triggers are not to be processed for Reverse Engineering or Model Update. We are only interested in entities and relationships to build an ERD. But the following code is executed for every trigger:

SELECT u.TRIGGER_OWNER,
u.TRIGGER_NAME,
u.TABLE_OWNER,
u.TABLE_NAME,
u.COLUMN_LIST,
u.COLUMN_NAME
FROM SYS.ALL_TRIGGER_COLS u, SYS.ALL_TAB_COLS c
WHERE u.TRIGGER_OWNER = ‘APSI’
AND u.TRIGGER_NAME = ‘SAFETY_SETPOINT_SI_SPT_BIUDS’
AND u.TABLE_OWNER = ‘APSI’
AND u.TABLE_NAME = ‘SAFETY_SETPOINT_SI’
AND u.COLUMN_LIST = ‘YES’
AND u.TABLE_OWNER = c.OWNER
AND u.TABLE_NAME = c.TABLE_NAME
AND u.COLUMN_NAME = c.COLUMN_NAME
AND c.HIDDEN_COLUMN = ‘NO’

We have a lot of triggers, so this takes a lot of time. If an object is not of interest, nothing should be done. I should see only the selected objects being processed in the log.

In my secondary issue, I define aliases. What objects to process is part of the definition of an alias. I have found that aliases were not defined as I thought they should be. (Data lost, not stored properly?) I need a way to view and edit aliases external to RE and Model Update.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi,

1. to triggers:

In What to Reverse, uncheck Triggers in Entities and Views
and
in step Options, uncheck Load DDL and Database Event Trigger.
Then nothing in common with triggers should be loaded and processed.

1. to Aliases:

You can review Aliases’ settings in menu File | Connections, tab Aliases. Select the Alias and browse throug tabs Parameters, Settings and What to Reverse. I have created change request CR 86723 to add Save button and thus enable Updating Aliases outside RE or Update Wizard.

In case of any other questions don’t hesitate to post here!

Cheers,
Lukas

Lucas:

Thanks for the info and the enhancement. That will be helpful.

Observations:

1. In the Model Update Wizard, Save Alias does not work. When I make changes, then go back in and re-select the alias, my changes are missing. The settings go back to a previous save. From the Save under RE? I don’t know.
  2. I have Entity -Triggers unchecked, but the example I gave showed the trigger_name from an entity.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

thanks for your quick feedback.

1. We have found the problem. To adjust settings and save them you have to Load the particular Alias you want to use first. Then you can go back some steps with Previous and adjust what you want and save it in the end. Change request CR 86749 created to review and adjust this beahvior.

2. Uncheck also Load DDL and Database Event Trigger in Options. (just in case of Oracle). It works!

Let me know.

Regards,
Lukas