alias dot asterisk replaced by **

Greetings,

I’m using Toad for Data Analysts version 2.6.0.561. If I enter the folloiwng into an editor window:
SELECT
FROM
dbo.dimProductECOM_DAXItems di
INNER JOIN JBIWarehouse_mf.dbo.dimProduct dp
ON di.DaxItemID = dp.ProductNum
WHERE
dp.originid = ‘ECOM’

Then position the cursor after the SELECT statment and enter dp., as soon as I enter the asterisk, Toad replaces the asterisk with TWO asterisks. I’m not sure what Toad is tryin to do here. ** is not a valid tSQL statement (I’m querying SQL Server 2008). The only reliable way around this is to open an alternative editor, enter dp. in that editor and then cut and paste from that editor into Toad.

I’ve looked for an option that controls this, but the only thing I can find is the one about replacing * with field names which is not what I want.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any fix or workaround?

Thanks for the help.

Mike Hayes

I see the issue you are having. When you type dp.* the code completion is kicking in. But it seems to be kicking in incorrectly by adding an additional . If you were to press enter and select the first entry it would replace dp. with a single *. That is how it was designed.

Since you mentioned that you do not want to use the 'include all columns' feature. I suggest increasing the time that the code compeletion displays. If your key strokes are fast enough you will not run into this collision.

See if that works for you.

Debbie

I see the issue you are having. When you type dp.* the code completion is kicking in. But it seems to be kicking in incorrectly by adding an additional . If you were to press enter and select the first entry it would replace dp. with a single *. That is how it was designed.

Since you mentioned that you do not want to use the ‘include all columns’ feature. I suggest increasing the time that the code compeletion displays. If your key strokes are fast enough you will not run into this collision.

See if that works for you.

Debbie
CodeCompletion2.png

Debbie,

Thanks for the information.

Fast code completion is more important to me than having this work (just barely). Ideally, Quest would fix this issue in an upcoming release.

Just to be clear, if you are using two tables in your FROM clause, and you want to select all of the fields from one of those tables (using Alias.*), Toad makes it impossible to write that query (using the settings that I use) in the Toad editor.

If I’m correct, then that would make this a significant issue in my opinion.

Mike Hayes

Yes, I see your point. I entered Cr73,563 to handle this issue.

Debbie

Thanks. I appreciate it. I’ll keep an eye on release notes.

Mike Hayes