Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

We have problems with the functionality to associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD (12.8) into Team Foundation Server (2013). We didn’t get the team coding check-in dialog box as shown in http://alm.anaroje.com/2015/06/toad-for-oracle-126-and-team-foundation.html. Dell support asked me to try the beta version 12.9, but the problem stays. Does anyone here have experience with it?

I worked this case when it came through support and verified that this was fixed in a previous beta. However I just tried this again in the most recent beta and now I’m not seeing the “work item” sub-panel in my check in dialog box. We will take a look at this. Team Coding has undergone a lot of changes during this beta cycle so this doesn’t surprise me. Just to verify, you see the check in dialog box when you check in, just not the work-items panel within that box correct? You are using base source control without the Team Coding objects installed on your DB?

Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 3:47 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

Thread created by fverduyn

We have problems with the functionality to associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD (12.8) into Team Foundation Server (2013). We didn’t get the team coding check-in dialog box as shown in http://alm.anaroje.com/2015/06/toad-for-oracle-126-and-team-foundation.html . Dell support asked me to try the beta version 12.9, but the problem stays. Does anyone here have experience with it?

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I don’t see a dialog box at all. In the beta 12.9 Toad hangs during check-in (no response, I have to kill the application). In the current 12.8 Toad shows a message ‘error during check-in’, but also no dialog box. And yes, we only use source control without Team Coding.

OK, thanks for the info.

Do you have “prompt for check in comment” checked in the TC Configuration screen? Also, when Toad hangs, try to alt-tab to another application and then back to Toad to see if the dialog box is getting stuck behind the main Toad application window.

This is very odd on my end too. Earlier when I tried this I did not see the “work items” sub panel on check in. But now I am seeing it and I can’t figure out what is different.

Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 9:46 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

RE: Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

Reply by fverduyn

I don’t see a dialog box at all. In the beta 12.9 Toad hangs during check-in (no response, I have to kill the application). In the current 12.8 Toad shows a message ‘error during check-in’, but also no dialog box. And yes, we only use source control without Team Coding.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The “prompt for check in” was not checked. Now I get the dialog without the work item tab and also the check-in gives the error “Error checking in file: filename.”

I’d like you to try one more thing before we try to get our TFS 2013 server up and running again, just to rule it out…

Go to Utilities > Copy user settings and select “reset to clean set of user files”. OK and YES to restart Toad

Cancel your DB login prompt and go to Team Coding > Configuration and reconfigure your VCS. Be sure to check “associate work items with Changesets” in the check in/out tab.

Open an editor, load a file from you working directory, select project and then try to check out and back in. Do you see the work items now?

If this didn’t work, you can get all of your previous Toad settings by following these steps

1. Go to options > General and click the “open folder” button under “Application data directory”

2. Once the folder opens in windows explorer, close Toad

3. Back in windows explorer, browse up one folder to “Toad for Oracle”

4. Locate “12.9 beta” folder and delete it.

5. Locate “12.9 beta_bak” folder and rename it to “12.9 beta”

6. Start Toad

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 8:07 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

RE: Associating work items with changesets during check-ins from TOAD into Team Foundation Server.

Reply by fverduyn

The “prompt for check in” was not checked. Now I get the dialog without the work item tab and also the check-in gives the error “Error checking in file: filename.”

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

It turns out we’ve got a TFS 2013 up and running right now, I tried it and I see work items fine and can successfully link them on check out. I think this means we can rule out a TFS version specific issue.

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:08 AM

To: ‘toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com’

I’d like you to try one more thing before we try to get our TFS 2013 server up and running again, just to rule it out…

Go to Utilities > Copy user settings and select “reset to clean set of user files”. OK and YES to restart Toad

Cancel your DB login prompt and go to Team Coding > Configuration and reconfigure your VCS. Be sure to check “associate work items with Changesets” in the check in/out tab.

Open an editor, load a file from you working directory, select project and then try to check out and back in. Do you see the work items now?

If this didn’t work, you can get all of your previous Toad settings by following these steps

1. Go to options > General and click the “open folder” button under “Application data directory”

6. Start Toad

Reply by fverduyn

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

…and by “check out” I really men “check in”

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:15 AM

It turns out we’ve got a TFS 2013 up and running right now, I tried it and I see work items fine and can successfully link them on check out. I think this means we can rule out a TFS version specific issue.

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 9:08 AM

6. Start Toad

Reply by fverduyn

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I tried the options you described before. After I “reset to clean set of user files” and reconfigured VCS, I was asked to execute RegAsm.exe to register TFSWorkItemLink64.dll. After that I connect to TFS succefully, but the check-in still hangs up TOAD (no response). In the Windows task manager I can see that TOAD uses a lot off cpu and the memory jumps between 500.000K and 800.000K (very quick).

Did you try it in the beta or commercial? No need to execute RegAsm.exe.

Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2016 3:57 AM

Reply by fverduyn

I tried the options you described before. After I “reset to clean set of user files” and reconfigured VCS, I was asked to execute RegAsm.exe to register TFSWorkItemLink64.dll. After that I connect to TFS succefully, but the check-in still hangs up TOAD (no response). In the Windows task manager I can see that TOAD uses a lot off cpu and the memory jumps between 500.000K and 800.000K (very quick).

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Are you running Toad inside a VM? We've noticed internally that working with TFS while inside a VM is quite a bit slower than running the same process outside of a VM.

Also, just to double-check: do you have the "Associate Work Items with Changesets" option checked in the TFS configuration options window with three green check marks, as in the attached picture?

You mentioned in your original post, you were working with a support person trying to accomplish this. If you're still having trouble getting this working, it might be worth getting back in touch with your support person to see if we can set up a WebEx. If you could e-mail me offline, we can look into this further.

-John

I use the beta version (64 bits). I don't run insite a VM. I switched from the production TFS to a testenvironment and now I get the dialog to choose a workitem. It takes very long before the dialog pops up. Also the check-in works [:D]

!

Happy to hear it! I wonder if there is something about your production environment which is making it slow for Toad to pull the work items, making it appear as if Toad is hung.

Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 4:06 AM

Reply by fverduyn

I use the beta version (64 bits). I don’t run insite a VM. I switched from the production TFS to a testenvironment and now I get the dialog to choose a workitem. It takes very long before the dialog pops up. Also the check-in works [:D]

!

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.