Issues with Toad Team Coding

We are using Toad version 12.8.0.49 and TFS 2015 with Visual Studio 2015.

Here are some of the issues/problems that I have with the Toad Team Coding.

I can’t filter the objects displayed in the Team Coding Manager, for this I must use the Team Coding Summary Information window.
The Team Coding Summary Information window is not a part of the Team Coding Manager pane.
I can’t customize the Team Coding Manager toolbar menu to add button for the Team Coding Summary Information.
The Team Coding Summary Information window is an application modal dialog blocking access to the rest of the application.
The Team Coding Summary Information window does not have source control commands like Check-in, Check-out, Undo Check-out, etc…

When checking in changes, I get an error attempting to search for Work Items.
Toad encountered an exception accessing work item dll:
TFSWorkItemLink32.dll. Errormessage: Non-static method requires a target.
My Team Foundation Server Configuration Options shows that the .Net FrameWork v4.0 is installed, Visual Studio Version 12.0 is installed, and TFSWorkItemLink32.dll is registered.

A long Check-in comment causes an Oracle Error on check-in.
Error: ORA-12899: value too large for column “TOAD”.“TCX_OBJECTS”.“LAST_CHECKIN_COMMENTS” (actual: 202, maximum: 200)

Check-in operations are not committed in a single Changeset.
Package Specs are batch committed together, and Package Bodies are batch committed together, but Package Specs and Package Bodies are committed in a separate Changeset.
A Changeset does not contain both the Package Spec and Package Body changes for the same Package.
Dropped objects are not committed in TFS and must be manually deleted and committed using TFS Source Control Explorer.

Scheduled Jobs are not natively placed under source control.

Constraints, Indexes, and Tables are not handled consistently between Team Coding, file system disk, and TFS.
I should have the option to specify either combined or separated management of Constraints and Indexes from Tables.
When combined, a change to a Constraint or Index should check-out the Table in Team Coding and the change should be written to the file system disk and TFS in the Table script.
When separated, a change to a Constraint or Index should check-out the Constraint or Index in Team Coding and the change should be written to the file system disk and TFS in the Constraint or Index script that is separate from the Table script.
Grants should be handled in a similar way with respect to the source object whether a Table, Function, Procedure, Package, Type, or View.

When making changes in Visual Studio code and in database source, it is not easy to get all modifications committed in the same Changeset.
If you commit in Toad first, this will remove the object from the TFS Pending Changeset.
If you commit the TFS Pending Changeset first, then the database source will not be updated because Toad does not automatically save the object source to file system disk when you edit/compile.
You must manually save your database source to the file system disk and then commit the TFS Pending Changeset in order to get all modifications in the same Changeset.
But saving database source to the file system disk causes problems with Toad’s ability to compare changes because Toad compares database source to file system disk source and not directly to source in TFS.
If the database source matches the file system disk source, Toad will not show a difference even though the source in TFS could be different. Then you have to go to TFS to see that there is a difference.

Hey Jeff,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble using Toad’s Team Coding feature. You mention a number of issues below, so I’ll try to cover as many of them as I can.

First, Team Foundation Server 2015 is not officially supported in Toad 12.8. Toad 12.8 officially supports Team Foundation Server 2005 – 2013. For TFS 2015 support, I would recommend using Toad 12.9 beta, and subsequently Toad 12.9 GA when it’s released.

There is no filtering of objects in the Team Projects tab of the Team Coding Manager; however, I can see where that might be beneficial if you have a large number of schemas and/or a large number of Team Projects defined. However, the schemas, object types, and object names are all listed alphabetically; so even without the filtering capability, it should be fairly easy to locate within the tree. If this kind of filtering is something you’d like to see, I would recommend adding this to the Idea Pond on Toad World. Similarly, while there is filtering on the VCS tab, it’s limited to filtering VCS folders and objects that are controlled by Team Coding. Filtering of your VCS content would greatly affect performance as Toad would need to query all information from the VCS provider ahead of time before applying the filter, and that could take a long while with certain VCS providers.

The Team Coding Summary window is not meant to be used as a Team Coding Manager replacement and is primarily a read-only view of the objects being controlled. In Toad 12.9, it’s been expanded to show transactional history for each object as well, but it’s still designed to present summary information for the database objects being controlled, rather than a launching point to work with those objects.

The error you’re receiving regarding searching for work items could be related to the versions of Visual Studio you have installed. You mentioned you’re working with Visual Studio 2015, but that you verified that Visual Studio 12 is installed (which is Visual Studio 2013). If both are installed, it’s possible that the .NET calls being used are those for TFS 2013, rather than 2015. We have noticed that some Visual Studio clients are not forward compatible with TFS 2015.

The error when entering a long comment is a bug and has been fixed for the Toad 12.9 release.

For the issue of dropping objects in TFS, I would recommend checking to see if the “Remove source from VCS when deleting an object” is checked in the Team Coding Administration window. By default, Team Coding doesn’t remove objects from your source control provider when deleting an object in the database. Deleting from version control is generally considered a bad idea since it circumvents the whole purpose of having a version control system in the first place.

Scheduled jobs have never been managed by Team Coding. If this is something you’d like, I’d recommend putting an entry in the Idea Pond for this one as well.

Constraints, Indexes, and Tables are handled together by design. Much of what we’ve been doing with Team Coding (especially in Toad 12.9) has been to make Team Coding easier and more accessible to the general user. As a result, related objects – such as Package Specs/Bodies, Type Specs/Bodies, and Tables/Indexes/Constrants – are processed together to make sure all database source is kept in sync. In that way, they are handled consistently. If you’d like an option to handle these kinds of objects separately, I’d recommend adding an entry to the Idea Pond for this request as well so we can get further input from other users of Toad.

If you’re worrying about syncing the source versions on your file system, then you might be overthinking Team Coding a bit. The purpose of Team Coding is to allow you to work directly with your database objects, do change control management for them, and link their source to a back-end version control system. Team Coding is designed to automatically handle all the necessary steps related to saving object DDL between the database, file system, and VCS provider. As a result, all you should really need to do is check out the objects with which you wish to work in Team Coding, make your changes to those objects, compile them, and check them back in. Team Coding should handle all the rest behind the scenes. If you want to make changes to ten objects in a single revision, you should be able to check out those ten objects, make the necessary changes, compile them, highlight those ten objects and press check-in to check them in together (or click “Check-in all”).

For the other issues mentioned below, I would recommend using Toad 12.9 when it comes out and/or Toad 12.9 beta, if your company and environment are okay with it. However, if you decide to use Toad 12.9 beta, I would recommend having everyone move to the Toad 12.9 beta. While Toad 12.9 can read and work with Toad 12.8’s configuration without a problem, Toad 12.8 is not forward compatible with Toad 12.9’s configuration format.

I hope this information helps to address some of the concerns you’ve had with Team Coding. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

-John

From: jeff32768 [mailto:bounce-jeffreyblankenbiller2013@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 3:17 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Issues with Toad Team Coding

Issues with Toad Team Coding

Thread created by jeff32768

We are using Toad version 12.8.0.49 and TFS 2015 with Visual Studio 2015.

Here are some of the issues/problems that I have with the Toad Team Coding.

I can’t filter the objects displayed in the Team Coding Manager, for this I must use the Team Coding Summary Information window.

The Team Coding Summary Information window is not a part of the Team Coding Manager pane.

I can’t customize the Team Coding Manager toolbar menu to add button for the Team Coding Summary Information.

The Team Coding Summary Information window is an application modal dialog blocking access to the rest of the application.

The Team Coding Summary Information window does not have source control commands like Check-in, Check-out, Undo Check-out, etc…

When checking in changes, I get an error attempting to search for Work Items.

Toad encountered an exception accessing work item dll:

TFSWorkItemLink32.dll. Errormessage: Non-static method requires a target.

My Team Foundation Server Configuration Options shows that the .Net FrameWork v4.0 is installed, Visual Studio Version 12.0 is installed, and TFSWorkItemLink32.dll is registered.

A long Check-in comment causes an Oracle Error on check-in.

Error: ORA-12899: value too large for column “TOAD”.“TCX_OBJECTS”.“LAST_CHECKIN_COMMENTS” (actual: 202, maximum: 200)

Check-in operations are not committed in a single Changeset.

Package Specs are batch committed together, and Package Bodies are batch committed together, but Package Specs and Package Bodies are committed in a separate Changeset.

A Changeset does not contain both the Package Spec and Package Body changes for the same Package.

Dropped objects are not committed in TFS and must be manually deleted and committed using TFS Source Control Explorer.

Scheduled Jobs are not natively placed under source control.

Constraints, Indexes, and Tables are not handled consistently between Team Coding, file system disk, and TFS.

I should have the option to specify either combined or separated management of Constraints and Indexes from Tables.

When combined, a change to a Constraint or Index should check-out the Table in Team Coding and the change should be written to the file system disk and TFS in the Table script.

When separated, a change to a Constraint or Index should check-out the Constraint or Index in Team Coding and the change should be written to the file system disk and TFS in the Constraint or Index script that is separate from the Table script.

Grants should be handled in a similar way with respect to the source object whether a Table, Function, Procedure, Package, Type, or View.

When making changes in Visual Studio code and in database source, it is not easy to get all modifications committed in the same Changeset.

If you commit in Toad first, this will remove the object from the TFS Pending Changeset.

If you commit the TFS Pending Changeset first, then the database source will not be updated because Toad does not automatically save the object source to file system disk when you edit/compile.

You must manually save your database source to the file system disk and then commit the TFS Pending Changeset in order to get all modifications in the same Changeset.

But saving database source to the file system disk causes problems with Toad’s ability to compare changes because Toad compares database source to file system disk source and not directly to source in TFS.

If the database source matches the file system disk source, Toad will not show a difference even though the source in TFS could be different. Then you have to go to TFS to see that there is a difference.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.