Toad World® Forums

Automation Migration

Is there an easy method of moving scheduled reports from one version of TDA to another? Or do I just have to cancel the current schedules and re-add them from the new version?

That is an excellent question. I tried handling this programatically but Microsoft security would not let me do this.

In the future you could consider installing TDA into a generically named directory. IE: C:\PF…TDA. (No version number) When you upgrade always use the same directory. That way the task path will remain the same.

For now I would suggest go into to task schedular and opening each task and edit the path name. That prevents you from creating the enteire task again. But it is still a lot of work.

We do have something planned to change this a couple of released down the road but you’ll have to wait to hear about it

Debbie

My thought was that you should probably be able to build a VBS or PowerShell script that would do it, but maybe not. I don’t have any experience in writing windows scripting (just bash & DCL) so I haven’t tried yet.

I’m asking because I’ve got a machine that’s still running some 2.x flavor of TDA that I need to update to 3.0 (and then 3.1 when it hits GA) and update all of the automation scripts (and we’re running a ton). I’m actually somewhat concerned that we’re going to hit a limit with the number we can run effectively given the hardware and software.

As far as installing in the same directory - wouldn’t that pose issues as upgrades occur with leaving old files behind?

Debbie Peabody wrote:

That is an excellent question. I tried handling this programatically but Microsoft security would not let me do this.

In the future you could consider installing TDA into a generically named directory. IE: C:PF…TDA. (No version number) When you upgrade always use the same directory. That way the task path will remain the same.

For now I would suggest go into to task schedular and opening each task and edit the path name. That prevents you from creating the enteire task again. But it is still a lot of work.

We do have something planned to change this a couple of released down the road but you’ll have to wait to hear about it

Debbie

The securtiy of the system prevents us from changing any tasks in script. (At least I never found a way that worked)

Installing into the same dir is not a problem. We do a pretty good job of clean up of files. I have a few users that use this method for the automation issue you talk about. They usually have TDA installed on a win server that is only used for running automation scripts.

Debbie

I provided Debbie a sample of a batch file that I use to prevent having to change all of my TDA timers after each upgrade. She posted it within this thread http://tda.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=29972&tstart=0

Though you will have to setup your scheduled tasks again, you will not have to change anything in the future other than the .bat file.

Or:

1. I created a .bat file on my c drive (named TDA.bat) with the following code
    a. “C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Data Analysts 2.7\Toad.exe” -batch=true %1
  2. I created a new scheduled task
    a. Run: C:\TDA.bat “C:\TOAD\Test.tas”
    b. Start In: C:\

When you upgrade in the future all you have to do is update the version within the .bat file.

Note: The path in 1a may be different on your computer.

Message was edited by: Dave - Stt

I totally forgot about this. This is a very clever solution!

Debbie