Automation status report?

Is there any type of status for automation scripts? I use the Windows Scheduler to schedule tasks and all I see is the “Last result 0xffffffff” message so I know it must’ve failed - but I can’t seem to find any clues in TfDA. When I test the scripts each of them run just fine. Can someone throw me a bone here? Thanks in advance.

If you are using TDA version 1.0, 1.1, or 1.1.1, go to the Event Viewer. (Control panel, Administrative Tools). Progress of each automation task is recorded in the Event type “Toad”. You should be able to see what occured there.

In version 2.0 we have added logging to a file and exception handling so these types of things are handled much better.

Debbie

Aloha, Debbie! I went to the Windows Admin Tools Event Viewer, found a file there called ToadStudioAdaptorLog - opened it but found it empty. We are using release 1.1.1.473. Is there another way to try and figure out what’s going wrong?

That event log is used for something else. If you do not have a log named “Toad” then you must be a non-Admin user and the event log is failing to be created. We had big issues with this in version 1 that we are not able to fix.

In order to track this down I would suggest downloading our Beta. I have added logging and error handling. Is that possible?

The latest Beta is located here–>
http://www.toadworld.com/Downloads/ToadforDataAnalysis/tabid/186/Default.aspx

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie - I have admin rights on my PC…not sure if that is what you were implying in your reply though. In Oracle, I’m definitely NOT an admin.
I’ve taken your suggestion and signed up for the 2.0 BETA. Installation was a breeze, and I tested my automation script in there and it ran fine (just like it does in 1.1.1). I’ve scheduled it to run at 2:30AM HST tonight, so we’ll see how and whether the 2.0 event logging and error handling can shed some light on what is going on with my automation scripts.
I’ll post results on this thread (and will make a note in the Yahoo BETA discussion group).

Sounds great.

P.S. The default logging level is basic. Because we know we have an issue you might consider changing the logging level to verbose.

Hi, Debbie -
I’ve figured out what I’ve been doing wrong - and it had nothing to do with 1.1.1 OR having the BETA 2.0 to assist: I had to leave TOAD running on my PC…! Maybe this step is obvious to others, but as this was my first time using Windows Scheduler…I assumed it would start up the app and then do it’s thing. Wrong! I left 1.1.1 running on my PC last night before leaving for home and came in this morning. I checked the “status” of the task in Windows Scheduler and saw the same 0xffffffff value and thought it had failed. But after checking the directory that holds the updated extracts - they were all updated…and time-stamped appropriately as proof!
So, lesson learned: If you schedule TOAD with Windows Scheduler, keep TOAD running on your PC and don’t log off or shutdown.
Thanks for all your assistance!
Jeff

No. This is not how it should be.

There must be some other reason. Are you using a connection that does not have the password saved? This is a requirement because you are not there to supply the password.

Is it possible that the automation script is having an error later in the script but did get past the activities that generate the report?

There is something wrong here and it may be useful to figure out what it is.

Debbie

No. This is not how it should be.

There must be some other reason. Are you using a connection that does not have the password saved? This is a requirement because you are not there to supply the password.

Is it possible that the automation script is having an error later in the script but did get past the activities that generate the report?

There is something wrong here and it may be useful to figure out what it is.

Debbie

When I use Windows Scheduler, the Scheduler prompts me to enter a password value before it saves the scheduled task. Is this what you mean? (Sorry, I don’t visit this forum often enough and haven’t seen your questions.)

I was referring to your connection definition. One requirement for a scheduled automation script is that your connection saves the password. When you are building and testing your script with TDA running the connection is already connected. But I believe you are using the Beta now anyway and I have added a check for this.

I would leave the Job Schedular out of this for now and define an email for success or failure. The failure email is defined by selecting the top description activity and filling out the email info in the property pane. For the success email you would need to add an email acitivty to the end of your script. There is an option to include logging in both emails.

I run all of my automation scripts this way as it is very clear if it executes successfully and if there is an error you can see where it was from the log file.

Debbie

Hi, Debbie -
I’ve been using the production version 1.1.1, leaving the app running when I leave the office for the day, and it has been running just fine every morning at 1:30 AM.

In previous tests performed with the 2.0 BETA and with 1.1.1, if the app was NOT left running, the task did not execute. This led me to my current practice.

Debbie - I’m setting up the email right now and I don’t see an option to include logging…am I trying to do a 2.0 thing in my 1.1.1 world???

Logging is only available in 2.0.

If what is working for you is fine, I guess let’s leave well enough alone…