Can no longer connect to Local Storage

Dear all,

as the title says I can no longer connect to the local storage. I always get the following error message:

I use quite a few automation scripts that pull data from an oracle DB and the import it into local storage. from there I create reports or Emails etc. It worked for a couple of days and all of a sudden I get this error message. I am not aware of any users or passwords that have been set to access the local storage and i cannot find the registration tab or where to find the registered user. The licensing looks ok afaik.

I tried the following thins according to what Aleksey Bazhenov suggested here: http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-data-point/f/36/t/22630 without success. Usually TDP runs under a "machine" account on a server, which is only usable, due to a mandatory and frequent password changes for "normal" user accounts.

I attached the ExceptionTrace.log as well as the Server.err files

Could anyone please help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Jochen

Update: I changed the buffer pool size from 1024 MB to 256 MB and now I was able to connect to locals storage again. Is this a coincidence or could the decrease of the buffer have solved (at least for now) the issue?
server.err.txt (23.7 KB)

Let;s stay simple. Go to tools | option | local storage. that page will tell you where your data files are. Rename that directory. First is to get Local storage running again. After renaming that dir reboot the pc. I want to make sure there are no stay processes and that we get a new port assigned. Go to your TDP shortcut and add " /log=all" and then start TDP by using that short cut. Double click on Local storage to start. If it doesn’t start go to Help | About | Application data dir and post your Toad.log file.

Dear Debbie,

I was able to get Local Storage running again after decreasing the buffer pool size and a reboot. The reboot seemed to be necessary. After having copied my data back I see my local storage tables and data. However, when I try a compare data task I get the following error message:

Table ‘hub_information_schema.hub_views’ doesn’t exist

Something seems to be not ok.

Querying and importing data from an to the local storage works.

I attached the toad.log file

Thanks a lot,

Jochen
Toad.log (220 KB)

To Jochen:

Thank you for posting in Toad World!

Given the complexity of the situation, I wanted to verify two points:

• The location of the E:
  • The actions that were taken to reach this state.
    Location of the application data directory

The logs indicate that it was unable to find certain files in the E:. Installing Toad on a shared drive may add to complexity.

The actions taken
To clarify, please verify the history occurred:

1. Toad stopped connecting to Local Storage.
  2. The Active Data Directory was renamed.
  3. “/log=all” was appended to the TDP shortcut.
  4. Double-clicked on local storage; the same issue occurred.
  5. The buffer pool size was decreased.
  6. Double-clicked on local storage; the same issue occurred.
  7. The machine was restarted
  8. TDP was launched and then a local storage connection was successfully made.

In addition, we humbly request some additional data on your system that is part of the Toad Bundle:

How to post a Toad Bundle

1. Launch Toad Data Point through the shortcut with the parameter /log=all.
  2. Reproduce the issue and ensure the error message appears (If applicable).
  3. Select Help -> Support Bundle
  4. A new tab will appear. After it’s done generating the bundle, Right-click the tab -> Save File to save the .zip file to any directory of your choosing.
  5. Return to the Toad World thread and Post a Reply using Rich Formatting (
    Alternatively: Attach it to an email and then send it to Joshua.Liong@quest.com directly and skip the remaining steps)
  6. Compose a message
  7. Select the Options tab next to Compose, then click Click to Add to add the .zip support bundle
  8. Post when you’re ready!
    We look forward to your analyzing the additional data.

Software Developer I,

• Joshua Liong

Dear Joshua,

thank you for taking the time to help me out with respect to the local storage issue.

I only went quickly over the attached file and recognized some interesting things. On the machine toad is installed on a WAMP-Server is running and some of the paths especially mysql related point to it. However, there were no issues connected to local storage with Toad 3.4 and for around 1 week with 3.7 until the first problems occurred. WAMP was running al the time on that machine. And there is one entry with respect to sybase still naming Toad 3.4. Toad 3.4. was installed on this machine prior to 3.7 and was uninstalled after all scripts, scheduled tasks and automating script had been converted to 3.7.

Regarding the actions given. It happened exactly as you wrote, but with one additional step. After I realized that is is possible again to connect to the local storage I copied back my backup local storage folder because I needed the databases/tables/data there etc. except for "the directories hub_information_schema, mysql, performance_schema and any directory that starts with an “_” character"

Besides (afaik) for a comparison action I can connect, import and query data from the local storage.

3. "/log=all" was appended to the TDP shortcut.
  9. Copy back data from backup to regain access to my data

The local storage on E:\Quest Software\Local Storage\ is on a local hard disk on that machine. At this point no network drives are involved. Several GB of free disk space is available on E:.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jochen

2015-08-18 3:47 GMT+02:00 Joshua Liong bounce-JoshuaLiong@toadworld.com:

RE: Can no longer connect to Local Storage

Reply by Joshua Liong
To Jochen:

Thank you for posting in Toad World!

Given the complexity of the situation, I wanted to verify two points:

• The location of the E:
  • The actions that were taken to reach this state.
    Location of the application data directory

The logs indicate that it was unable to find certain files in the E:. Installing Toad on a shared drive may add to complexity.

The actions taken
To clarify, please verify the history occurred:

3. "/log=all" was appended to the TDP shortcut.

In addition, we humbly request some additional data on your system that is part of the Toad Bundle:

How to post a Toad Bundle

1. Launch Toad Data Point through the shortcut with the parameter /log=all.
  2. Reproduce the issue and ensure the error message appears (If applicable).
  3. Select Help -> Support Bundle
  4. A new tab will appear. After it's done generating the bundle, Right-click the tab -> Save File to save the .zip file to any directory of your choosing.
  5. Return to the Toad World thread and Post a Reply using Rich Formatting
  6. Compose a message
  7. Select the Options tab next to Compose, then click Click to Add to add the .zip support bundle
  8. Post when you're ready! Or send it directly to Joshua.Liong@quest.com.
    We look forward to your analyzing the additional data.

Software Developer I,

• Joshua Liong

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.
Or Unsubscribe from Toad Data Point - General notifications altogether.
Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module One LLC & Co. KG:

Dr.-Ing. Jochen Rinderknecht

MTS Complex Analysis Engineer / System Administrator

Center for Compley Analysis

T +49 (0) 351 277-4114

F +49 (0) 351 277-94114

M/S: E23-MA

jochen.rinderknecht@globalfoundries.com

http://www.globalfoundries.com/

GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module One Limited Liability Company & Co. KG

Wilschdorfer Landstr. 101, 01109 Dresden, Deutschland

Registered Office/ Sitz Dresden I Registergericht Dresden HRA 4896

General Partner/ Vertretungsberechtigter Komplementär: GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module One LLC (Sitz Wilmington, Delaware, USA)

General Manager/ Geschäftsführer der GLOBALFOUNDRIES Dresden Module One LLC: Dr. Rutger Wijburg,Terrence Joseph Daly

To Jochen:

I attempted to emulate your environment with Toad Data Point 3.7.1.1011 installed in an E: mapped to a new folder. I encountered issues related to Local Storage which may be related to the symptoms you encountered.

Notably, I did not have this issue when Toad was installed in the default directory of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell". I would like to propose re-installation as a fast workaround.

Steps to Attempt to Resolve

1. Copy the Local Storage folder (as determined when looking at Tools -> Options -> Local Storage) to somewhere safe.
  2. Uninstall your current installation of Toad.
  3. Reinstall Toad, but maintain the default installation directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Toad Data Point 3.7).
  4. Launch Toad
  5. Connect to Local Storage
  6. Copy over the old tables and databases from your preserved Local Storage into your new local storage (location of the new local storage determined when looking at Tools -> Options -> Local Storage)

If this approach resolves the issue, then we will create an issue to further investigate errors related to custom installation paths.

Software Developer I,

• Joshua Liong

Dear Joshua,

I did as proposed and performed a clean install of Toad 3.7 (uninstall => reboot => install) and I am using now all the default paths. I then reconfigured all my scheduled tasks (st) to point to the Toad directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Toad Data Point 3.7). At first everything looked fine, but after maybe 2h (appr. 25-30 successful sts in a row) I got the same error again as in the first post regarding registered user, password etc.

One st runs every 15 min, another every 5 min., some others only once a or twice a day. The duration is quite different between the various sts. The high frequency tasks take less than a minute to complete, the less frequent one up to 20-30 min. And sometime several st run in parallel.

Is there some kind of limit with respect to simultaneous connections to the local storage or a limit such as x opening connections within y minutes or so?

If so, is there a way to (forcefully) close a db connection from within an automation script?

There was one thing in common with all the trials over the last couple of days/weeks. First everything worked as intended and then after some days, sometimes only after a few hours or repetitions the error message started to show. The automation scripts, queries etc. have not been changed in the meantime.

For now I stopped the highest frequency task and I’ll try this one on a different machine with a different version of Toad. Hopefully the other tasks do not stop anymore.

Do you have any suggestions on what to try next?

Best wishes,

Jochen

To Jochen:

I’m sorry to hear that the issue has returned. I feel that another support bundle for us to analyze would be beneficial. Feel free to send the support bundle directly to Joshua.Liong@quest.com

If you can give us the date and general time that Local Storage stopped working, we can focus on that point to see what changed.

We will respond again after the analysis of the second support bundle.

Software Developer I,

• Joshua Liong

Actually I suggest you open up a support case and ask that they set up a WebEx with the TDP dev and Local Storage development. I think this is more than can be handled on the forum.

@Dell

Dear all,

how do i open a support case? Is there a form I need to fill in or some kind of ticket system?

My IT department cloned my “Toad server” and I was able to reproduce the problem there almost instantaneously with only two jobs running. I think chances are good to track down the root cause.

Best wishes,

Jochen

Jochen,

To make a support case, go to this website, click on the ‘Contact Technical Support’ button, and fill out the form.

support.quest.com/manage-service-request