Can you improve the speed of copying from a table?

Since you have already done a lot to improve performance, I’d like to ask if you could have a look at this.

• Execute the following query (returning approximately 19000 rows in my case):
    SELECT * FROM dba_objects;
  • Select everything (Ctrl+A)
  • Copy (Ctrl+C)
  • TOAD starts counting, but at two-thousand-something rows it will freeze and take a long time to return
    Anything you can do to improve this? Thanks!

Are all rows fetched yet, or did you make Toad start fetching all rows from the database when you did the CTRL+A?

Oh, nevermind - I see what you mean now. The CTRL+C is the slow part.

I’ll take a look at it. In the meantime, it would probably be faster to do an “export dataset” and choose the clipboard option.

Not sure if the change to display the Export dialog when pressing Ctrl+C was inspired by this request, but unfortunately I’m not happy with this solution.

The speed of actually copying the selected rows has really improved, but now I need to wait for half a second before the dialog appears, and then I need to confirm that I want to copy the data. I’ll never want to save the data to a file when pressing Ctrl+C, and I think the standard format that was provided before was fine.

Would it be possible to use the export mechanism to keep the speed, but not to display the dialog, using standard settings instead to copy to the clipboard? In case I want something else, I can still use “Export dataset”, but Ctrl+C should just copy immediately.

Try to copy the result of the following query and paste it into the editor, I think you’ll see why this is not the best solution:
SELECT ‘A’ FROM dual UNION ALL SELECT ‘B’ FROM dual;

I’d expect to press Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, click into the editor and press Ctrl+V immediately - just the way it works with 12.10 but with the speed of 12.11 when copying large data sets.

Does this make sense, can you implement it like that?

Same thing with copying columns/indexes from Schema Browser. You could offer the button for “Export dataset” there if necessary, but I think Ctrl+C should just copy to clipboard.

Is there a way to define a shortcut for “Export dataset” in case anyone needs this regularly? Not necessary for me though, the extra click when actually exporting is fine.

Yes, it was this request that brought all this on. My first thought was to just use the export dataset code in the background as you suggested this morning, but then I remembered that in the past, there has been a lot of confusion over how to include/exclude column headers during CTRL+C, and I thought that showing the dialog would make that more obvious.

I definitely agree that don’t need the Export Dataset action for non-query grids like SB-Tables-Columns/Indexes. I’ll make that change.

And I get what you’re saying about not wanting to see the dialog, but still use the export dataset dialog for speed. I’ll see if I can make that happen too.

Works like a charm now, thank you John!