Compare model after RE

Hi,
I have created DDL script from a model, used this to create a db then REd the resulting db.

If I do a model compare immediately after the RE I get differences in Column Default Values, View, Procedure, Function and Package SQL parts.

If I close the REd model, reopen it and repeat the compare the Default Values and View SQL differences are no longer shown. Procedure, Function and Package are.

The Default differences are due to trailing SPACE or NL.
Copying and pasting the view SQL into files and using a file compare tool shows no differences. I think this will be a NL type issue.
I’m still looking at Procs, Funcs and Packs.

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Thanks for the detailed report. We will deal with this problem. CR # 45 866.

Thanks again.

Vladka + TDM Team

Examination of functions shows that the difference is down to extra SPACE being added at the start of each line during RE. This is in text255().

RE must be an accurate representation of database content.

Regards
Malcolm

Hello,

thanks for the details. I'm happy to inform you that this problem was fixed yesterday (45 866).

RE must be an accurate representation of database content.
Just a note from our devs: Sometimes it is not possible to keep it perfectly accurate as some things are being parsed and some are being linked (e.g. in views).

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Thanks Vladka,

I realise that the REd code will never be 100% the same as the code that created the database. However the closer you can get the better.
Regards
Malcolm

As you would probably expect, the default value issue mentioned in the initial post also manifests itself if you generate DDL immediately after RE
Malcolm

May I suggest a Compare Model option to ignore whitespace in SQL text data.
Thanks
Malcolm

Thanks for your suggestion. CR# 45 949.

Regards,

Vladka + TDM team

It would also be helpful to be able to ignore changes in object position/size. For example when comparing to create an alter script, if the object have moved slightly it is difficult to check which items have changed when all objects have moved slightly.

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Please open the Comparator dialog and click the tab Settings where OTPs are available.
Expand the Workspaces item and try to clear appropriate checkboxes - e.g. Font Size, Top, Left etc. (under Shape List).

The changes of this kind should be ignored then.

Please let us know if it helps. Thanks.

Vladka