Model compare - SP SQL - can't differentiate between same and different

Hello, please let me know what I’m missing. I’m using SQL Server 2008 R2 and am comparing two data models. In the Sync & Convert Wizard window, I have Show Unequal Objects and Show Unequal Properties selected. There are many stored procedures in the list that are exactly the same in both models. I expand a stored proc, see the SQL property, and see some SQL code for each model in blue text. I double click on the SQL code and new window comes up, Object sp_name Property SQL. The two stored procedures are exactly the same.

I then choose a stored procedure I know to be different between the two models. It looks exactly the same as the previous one in the wizard window. But, in the property window, I see the differences.

Is there a way to have the compare only show me those stored procedures that have different SQL?

Hi Bohdar,

It should work fine and it seems you don't miss anything. I've checked this: I have two procedures, one is the same in both models, one has different SQL. When I select Show Unequal Objects/Properties, only the unequal procedure is listed / marked by the difference icon and blue color:

When I select Show All Objects.., also the other procedure is listed. However, not marked as changed:

Please write us:

1. what TDM version you use.
  2. what is the origin of the models you compare, e.g. reversed and created in TDM etc. Sometimes the reversed model is changed a bit during the reverse engineering and then TDM may show differences.
    Also, please send us a picture showing the problem. Thanks!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

1. I'm using TDM 5.1.1.12 now. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the model was originally created in TDM 4.3.

2. I'm comparing a model created in TDM with a reverse engineered model I created yesterday.

Below is a picture showing the difference icon for many stored procedures.

It shows blue color and difference icon for stored procedure usp_return_date_ranges, but SQL for those is the same.

Hello Bohdar,

Thanks for the details. Yes, it is as we thought. You are comparing TDM model with reversed model and the wizard finds differences although no differences are visible.
Let me explain. - The two models are different because of “white spaces”. It can be a different word wrap (Linux vs MS Windows) or a space at the end of line etc. Unfortunately, TDM compares only values, finds out their differences and doesn’t examine if they are a kind of white space or anything else. Unfortunately, TDM doesn’t have an option to ignore white spaces either. Sorry.
The only thing we can recommend now is to synchronize the two models.

If you have any questions, please write us back. Thanks!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Ok, good to know. Is the [ignore whitespace] feature one that will be implemented in a future version of TDM? We experiment in a DEV environment and then move changes into the model once approved. I was hoping to use the compare to reverse engineered model to make sure no changes were missed. Sometimes the DEV environment contains changes that I don’t want to save to the model though, so I don’t want to just synchronize everything.

Ideally TDM should use our formatter technology to make both “in memory” copies formatted the same way to eliminate all such white space and other formatting
related differences …

Maybe one of our TDM people or PM will see this and enter an enhancement request
J

From: Bohdar Herman [mailto:bounce-bohdarherman@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 7:02 AM

To: tdm@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] Model compare - SP SQL - can’t differentiate between same and different

RE: Model compare - SP SQL - can’t differentiate between same and different

Reply by Bohdar Herman

Ok, good to know. Is the [ignore whitespace] feature one that will be implemented in a future version of TDM? We experiment in a DEV environment and then move changes into the model once approved.
I was hoping to use the compare to reverse engineered model to make sure no changes were missed. Sometimes the DEV environment contains changes that I don’t want to save to the model though, so I don’t want to just synchronize everything.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi,

new enhancement request TDM-418 was added to our systems. We plan to improve comparison/synchronization features in future versions of TDM. I am sure this suggestion will be discussed/evaluated.

Thanks,

Vaclav

Glad to hear, looking forward to it!

Just want to chime in and say that I’d love to have an ignore whitespace feature in the comparison options as well!