Connect to Local Storage Externally

Hi everybody,

I would like to connect to my local storage externally (i.e. excel), to retrieve data. Is this possible? I am aware it is not a typical data source like Oracle, SQL Server, etc…

Thanks in advance.

To sdtoad:

Thank you for posting in Toad World!

Toad Data Point allows you to connect to non-database sources, including Excel! You can even try it out immediately by connecting to one of our sample Excel files.

Connecting to Our Sample Database

1. Select File -> New -> Connection to open up the "Create New Connection" form.
    Step1.png

2. In the "Group" drop-down menu, select "Microsoft Excel"
    Step2.png

3. For "File Name," specify the full path to the excel file. The directory of our sample excel files are in the default directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\Toad Data Point 3.6\Plugins\Odbc\Sample Database"

4. Select "Connect"

5. Now you can work with Excel throughToad using SQL!

Let me know if this answered your question.

Software Associate Developer,
-Joshua Liong

Hi Joshua ,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually wondering if I can connect from excel to our local storage connection. I am aware we can add Excel as a new connection on Toad.

To sdtoad:

Local Storage is an embedded database exclusive for internal Toad Data Point use and should not be accessed directly by external clients.

If you wish to utilize Excel to access data, Toad Data Point can export the data in Excel or csv format (among other formats).

Thank you for your patronage in using Toad Data Point!

Software Associate Developer,
-Joshua Liong

I think what is being asked is you can link to a database table or query on a database for an Excel Pivot table. That way you do not have to have a huge spreadsheet as the data source for a pivot table and instead use the database as the source of the data by setting up an Excel connection. What is wanted is to be able to use the local storage just like any other database that you can use SQL to pull data from. I smell an enhancement request.

Unfortunately no. Local Storage is a database but is not set up for external app access.