Connect using MFA authentication

Hello,
We just use your product which we bought from you. We now want to connect to one of our databases using MFA authentication. How to do so correctly? We tried to pick:

Servername: xxx
Auhentication: Active Directory Pasword authentication
Login: john.doe@xxxxx.com
Password: xxx

Nevertheless it says login failed which is not possible as we correctly connecting from ssms.
please of advice.

Hi,
what OS is it? What version of SQL Server is it? Can you post a screenshot of the error?

I have the same issue. I'm connecting from Windows 10 to Azure SQL Server. In Microsoft SSMS 18.4 there is an authentication option for "Azure Active Directory - Universal with MFA" that works, but this option is not available in Toad for SQL Server 7.1.

Here's the error when trying to connect using Active Directory Password Authentication in Toad.

AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access 'xxx'.

Does Toad plan to have this authentication method available in the future, or is there a work around in Toad?

Hi,

I created ticket TSS-1669 Connect via MFA authentication.
I will implement with high priority

That sounds promising. Thank you. As a licensed user, is there a way I can follow progress on this either through this forum, the ticket you mentioned, or submitting my own ticket?

Hi,
no, we don't have any public facing systems like this. Please ask here in a couple of months or check our release notes whether it's been implemented.

Any update on this feature?

1 Like

Hi Matt,
we need to upgrade our .NET libraries to 4.7.2 to implement this and while we are defeinitely going to do it sometime soon, we're not doing the upgrade just yet.

1 Like

When you say "soon", does that mean weeks? Months? I ask because we're moving all of our databases over to Azure, and I really like the DataPoint tool - just wondering if I'm going to have to start searching for another tool again. Thanks!

More than a month before a release contains .NET 4.7.2 (but it does not have to be much more than that based on priority).
Thanks for adding up to priority of this. I'll try and get a more precise timing.

Dan - any further information on this?

Looks like this isn't in the version that was released yesterday. Any update on when it will be available?

Hi David,
sorry, but it will not be this year. Do you think you yould set up a support request for an enhancement to boost its priority?

Thanks for the reply, Dan. I probably won’t bother creating a request, because I’ll need something before the end of the year – guess it’s time to move on to another tool.

1 Like

Almost another year - just thought I'd check and see if there's a plan to support Azure databases.

Is there still a plan to make this functionality available?

Hi David,
We are planning for a new release at the beginning of the next year. I'll check with the team if this change can make it to the next release. Please stay tuned.

I too need this feature in order to use Toad for SQL Server. I really prefer TOAD as I am very familiar with it and up to now have not needed to do much with SQL Server.

Looks like this didn't make it in again? Any word on when it might? It says above that it had "high priority" two years ago. Thanks!

Is there any update on this? We recently did a trial of Toad for SQL Server and this would have been a deal breaker since we have a good number of Azure SQL Databases. But we were told that MFA support was 'coming soon'. I just now found this thread and see that it has been coming soon since 2019.

There is a post about this from January 2020 that says:

I created ticket TSS-1669 Connect via MFA authentication.
I will implement with high priority.

What is the status of this ticket??