Data Point 4.3 Editor Autocomplete Speed

I used to use Redgate Sql Prompt at my organization and then we switched to Teradata and the closest equivalent has been Toad Data Point. However, I keep hoping that a new version of Data Point will speed up the autocomplete functionality. Whenever I’m typing in the editor, the speed at which the dropdowns populate after “.” can be very frustrating and slows me down quite a bit.

I don’t know if it’s because our environment is so big that populating all the columns and databases/tables takes a long time? Is it possible to “cache” this information so that it isn’t always creating the autocomplete from scratch?

You're probably correct that the presence of a high number of database objects are slowing down the type-ahead box within the Editor. Just a suggestion, you may want to try turning off the pop-up type-ahead (within the Options base, select the Editor|Code Completion| General page and turn off the Auto Pop-up check box. See screen capture below.

The pop-up box can be invoked at any time within the editor by pressing on the keyboard. This way, the automatic pop-up shouldn't slow you down, but you can bring it up as needed.

We can have development take a look at best ways to cache objects, if that helps in this situation.

Here is something else you can test out. Connect to your Teradata instance using the Generic ODBC connection type. You will need to have your Teradata client installed as well as ODBC driver. We added to this provider caching that persists between sessions. It will not have the Teradata specific support like the Native connection but i would like to test out how much it helps to cache.

Thanks Debbie - I’m going to try this. I was actually going nuts and decided to come revisit this post.

I’m over here hitting ctrl=’.’ trying to get the dropdown to come down and it just takes like 10 seconds to populate each time.

I figured I would follow-up to this and just let you all know that nothing seems to speed up the autocomplete dropdowns. It's painfully slow compared to Teradata SQL Studio, SQL Assistant, or Microsoft SQL.

All of my teams use Toad and all have the same performance issue. I think it's worth taking a look at it and seeing if there is anything that can be done to make it run faster as a bug fix. I also think the intelligence is a bit of a struggle. If you have an editor window open and you are doing more analyst work and writing a bunch of queries one after the other without using a semi-colon, the autocomplete gets even worse until it quits working.

@Gary.Jerep Any chance to do more on this? Our entire organization is having this issue with Teradata and people are looking for alternative IDE's. Maybe a screenshare or something would help?

@gary.jerep I am seeing the same issue as @austins and it is significantly hurting my performance. Any thoughts?

I'm assuming that you've folllowed guidance from the above thread and also from our Support Knowledge Base article here:
https://support.quest.com/toad-data-point/kb/213715/teradata-connections-are-very-slow-to-execute-queries

I would still bring this up with Quest's Support team, if you haven't already. In the meantime, I will escalate this from my side to our Dev team... there's enough folks here that are having an issue with latency on the Teradata platform.

I have not tried that support article, but did try the suggestions in this thread. I will give that a try!