Toad World® Forums

Enhancement on Reverse-Engineering Feature.

Hi

I am wondering if it is possible to allow user to select the view, stored procedure …etc that they may want to reverse engineering as well?
So that if the user want to use TDM to migrate the database from one Database to another, they can just select the view, stored procedure and table they want to migrate on that screen. Otherwise they need to delete the DDL script when the DDL script is generated.
At the moment user on TDM can select the table that they would like to reverse engineer. When you generate the SQL script it will only generate the script for the object that exist on there.

Another enhancement that would be useful for user like me is to allow to select the particular view, stored procedure on DDL Script Generation windows. at the moment user can only select the entities(tables).

I think these feature would make life easier.

Please let me know if you want me to explain more.

Many thanks

Chi

Hi,

I second that request.
It would be useful to be able to select procedures, functions, packages, views, etc for RE as well as tables.
Also the ability to restrict the owner of the items to RE should be possible when no tables are to be REd. At present you can only restrict it to the schema the selected table is in.

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Chi and Malcolm,

1. …allow user to select the view, stored procedure …etc that they may want to reverse engineer…

Yes, we’d like to in the future. CR # 49 129.

1. …allow to select the particular view, stored procedure on DDL Script Generation window.

Yes, this has already been requested. CR # 36 513. We will deal with it in the future.

1. Also the ability to restrict the owner of the items to RE should be possible when no tables are to be REd. At present you can only restrict it to the schema the selected table is in.

Malcolm, I’m very sorry, I don’t understand. Could you please further explain your suggestion? Thanks. (Apology for my English.)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

I’ll try and explain what I meant.

1. Also the ability to restrict the owner of the items to RE should bepossible when no tables are to be REd. At present you can only restrictit to the schema the selected table is in.

Malcolm, I’m very sorry, I don’t understand. Could you please further explain your suggestion? Thanks. (Apology for my English.)

The RE options checkbox “Load procedures … only from users/schemas of selected tables” allows me to restrict the owner of (say) procedures to that of the selected table.
If I do not want to RE any tables (or I do not have any to RE);
A) if I set the checkbox I get no procedures
B) if I clear the checkbox I get (an filtered set of) procedures.
I would like to be able to be able to restrict the load to a specific procedure owner/schema.

This request came about because (due to the size/speed of RE from our development Db) I have found it quicker to use TOAD to copy changed/new items into an otherwise empty schema and RE from that schema.

I hope that is clearer.

Kind regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Now it’s definitely clear. I’ve added your comments to the CR # 49 129.

Thanks very much.

Kind regards,

Vladka