Formatter hangs

all,

I’m on Toad 12.10.0.30. The formatter (which I use hundreds of times a day) suddenly hangs
while reformatting a package body.

It’s consuming around 25% of CPU and Windows has declared the process as not responding.

Is there anything I can do about this?
Please find the package below:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/process.txt:320:240]

It has some undesired markup in it, but that’s the result of a code conflict in SubVersion which I’m trying to resolve.

Whatever’s wrong with the code, the fomratter should not go into a hang.

Kind regards,
Abe Kornelis

All,

I’ve cancelled the hanging Toad session. Please find error-log and formatter options file below:

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/5367.FmtPlus.txt:320:240]
[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/Toad_5F00_el.txt:320:240]

Abe

Hi Abe,

We can reproduce this in 12.10 and 12.9.

Someone will take a look at it soon.

From: kornelis.abe [mailto:bounce-kornelisabe@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:40 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Formatter hangs

RE: Formatter hangs

Reply by kornelis.abe

All,

I’ve cancelled the hanging Toad session. Please find error-log and formatter options file below:

http://www.toadworld.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/5367.FmtPlus.txt

http://www.toadworld.com/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/86/Toad_5F00_el.txt

Abe

===

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hi Abe,

This is a formatter issue indeed. I started looking into it. Probably due to the left SVN markup >>>>>>> .r24234.

I’ll keep you informed.

Thanks,
Andre

This file contains 3 syntax errors due to the left over markups <<<<, ==== and >>>>. Formatter has been fixed to cope with this. It will recover from each of the three errors by looking up the end of the broken statement, and then each time it will resume formatting. You may find that the <<<<< arrows have been broken up in << << etc. because formatter was expecting a PL/SQL label.

You’ll see this behavior in qp5.dll version 5.304 available soon.

BTW, there is work in progress for even more refined recovery, but today we already deliver what no competitor is able to do.

Thanks Abe for this interesting case! (QP-1886)
Andre

André,

thanks for the feedback.
I’m aware the code contains rather unusual stuff in between the actual code.

Still, it’s good to know the formatter will not fail on unexpected stuff like this.

Kind regards,
Abe