How do I change user password in a saved dcp comare file?

We are still having difficulty reproducing this issue. We need to reproduce before we can enter a bug ticket. We will try again.

There is a data compare log that might help. Please get the file below and attach. Change user name to yours and version of TDP

C:\Users<user>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad Data Point 4.x\Plugins\Data Compare\DataCompareAndSync.log

Hi Debbie,

Sorry, I got switched to other priorities (and did not check your update). I’ve zipped and attached both log and xml files found in the “Data Compare” folder as directed.

I’m running Toad Data Point 4.2.1.303 32-bit on Win7-64

Thanks !
Toad_DataPoint_4.2.1.303-32-bit_Data CompareFiles.zip (5.27 KB)

Hi Markus,

unfortunately when you change connection in our wizard than we have to reload all objects. This caused that all your mapping are gone.

We can try one trick which may help you.

1. Open your DataCompare file from 3.6 in your TDP 4.2 and resave it.

2. Edit this new file outside of Toad. Use some XML editor (notepad etc.).

3. After you resave it you should be able see XML structure of file. Now you have to look at element “TargetConnectionMediator

4. Now go back to Toad. In Connection manager use Export action and export your target connection which you want to use in Data Compare.

5. Edit this file and copy your Connection element and paste it to **TargetConnectionMediator **element (and replace old one).

6. Don’t remove element which should be empty. If it is not then we have to try something different.

7. Save your Data Compare file and try open it again int TDP.

Let me know if it helped or not.

Filip

Hi Filip,

Thanks for the update and detailed instructions. I will look into this ASAP and update you with outcome (hope this will resolve my issue).

Best regards !

Hi Filip,

I gave it a try, but could not get it to work, as the 2 XML files have different structures, hence replacing the exported connection element into the **TargetConnectionMediator **element of the comparison file did not work, and, did not look compatible structurally. I am attaching sample files (removed sensitive info) to show what I mean.

The other thing is that a converted comparison file (from 3.6) yet has a different connection XML structure (not the same tags/elements).

In fact, any manual editing of XML files got me to the same point: Toad Data Compare could not open the files.

All I need really, is to be able to edit the saved encrypted password string or ideally, remove it altogether.

Thanks.
TDPv4.2_exported_connection_and_comparison_file.zip (2.24 KB)

Hi,

you are right that structure from old TDP3.6 is different and may cause some problems. This trick usually work when you try to replace new structure(from TDP4.2) where we started to use same connection structure across all TDP modules. Also this trick can help you want you want to switch between different providers (etc. Oracle to Progress).

But if you still have TDP3.6 and you want update just your password thane we can try this.

1. create new DCP file with updated connection info. You don’t need to care about pairing your tables you can select at least one so you will be able save your DCP file.

2. Then migrate to new TDP and update this file to XML structure.

3. After this migration you should be able see crypted updated password. You can use this value to your DCP file where you have all your pairs.

If you don’t have TDP3.6 we can generate it in different way but through old TDP will be easiest.

Filip

Hi Filip,

It’s a chance I did not uninstall 3.6 yet… seems like your workaround fix works out.

I’ve tested it on a sample file, and it works, so I see no reason it would not on other files. I will also need this when the databases migrate thru SDLC (something to think about for your product). Ideally, there should be an option not to save the passwords in the comparison file altogether.

I will perform the test with the lot of comparison files I’ve created for this QA project, and advise.

Thanks again for your reply, & support, this is of very high value to me.