How to change sorting of Workflows in TDP Workbook

I may have missed something in the user documentation, but I did not see a way to re-sort the Workflows that have been created in a Workbook? Is there a way to change the order of Workflows to ensure they are processed in the desired order? Or are they fixed based on when they were created?

Currently, there's no re-sort/ordering capability. This is due in part to the fact that in many workbooks, the workflows may be dependent on each other. However, I can see a viable use case or two for re-ordering some of the workflows inside a workbook. If you can further articulate one or two of your use-cases/motivations, I'm sure our Product Management/Dev Teams would love to hear them!

1 Like

It is true that we do not allow changing the order of the steps. however, we have worked recently on the sequencing of when a step is executed and when child workflows are executed. We do execute the steps in a thread in the background to optimize the speed but there are a few occurances where you must wait for prior step in order to successfully execute a step. Are you running into an error? Can you provide details on what is occurring?

No errors at this time. I am just learning Workbook and wanted to see if there reorder was possible if we added a new workflow to an existing workbook and wanted to have that workflow run before the end. If we could set a processing order like we used to do in our old Hyperion system it would be great.

Gary and Debbie, here is the best way I can articulate what I am seeing and envisioning. If for example I was to spend a large amount of time in designing a Workbook with multiple Workflows to create an output Excel file to be distributed to my team. The structure of the Workbooks is each Workflow creates its own Local Data Storage table where in the last Workflow these local results are all consolidated into a single output Excel file. This purpose of this configuration is a user can go into a specific Workflow and run it individually should they want specific information. If I were to realize at a later date that there is more information I want added to the Workbook I am not able to add it easily. Since the Workflows process in the order they are entered in the Workbook I am unable to add the new data. I could work around this by having the final Workflow output join into the new data, but it would then change the structure of how my Workbook was designed. It is no longer a series of unique Workflows consolidated into a final output. When I use the Hyperion system there is functionality available to be able to assign what order I would like my sections run. This enables me to add a new data set and have it integrate into the final consolidation of the data. If there was just a way to be able to determine the processing order of the Workflows it would accomplish what I am looking for. I would love to be able to re-order the Workflows to make it visually more logical, but if that is not possible the processing order would be more than enough to accomplish what I am looking for.

I have moved this idea to the Pond. Thanks.

Can you post of screenshot of where and how this was done in Hyperion Brio. I am not aware of this feature.

Sure, here is the menu path and the query processing order screen from Hyperion

ProcessOrder1
ProcessOrder2

This functionality allows us to decide what order queries will process regardless of when they are created in the lifecycle of the Hyperion file. A similar capability within Workbook would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

We decided to offer copy/paste and drag/drop of steps and workflows. This should cover your need as well as a few other requests. Look for this in patch 8 (that is a couple of patches from now).

3 Likes