Inconsistent Grid Copy Behavior

When copying from the grid in Editor mode, then CTRL+C seems to always exclude the header whereas CTRL+INSERT always includes the header.
However, in Quest/Toad Script Runner (TSR), this behavior is different and seems to depend on the number of columns.

In the 1 column scenario, the TSR results are the reverse/opposite of the Editor results (this is undesirable).

select dummy from dual;
|        |              1 Column               |
|        |   CTRL+INSERT    |      CTRL+C      |
|        | Header | Format  | Header | Format  |
|--------|------------------|------------------|
| TSR    | No     | Unicode | Yes    | Unicode |
| Editor | Yes    | Unicode | No     | Unicode |

In the more than 1 column scenario, TSR CTRL+INSERT is in HTML format which is different from both the Editor >1 column results and from the TSR 1 column results (again undesirable).

select dummy, dummy from dual;
|        |             >1 Column               |
|        |   CTRL+INSERT    |      CTRL+C      |
|        | Header | Format  | Header | Format  |
|--------|------------------|------------------|
| TSR    | Yes    | HTML    | Yes    | Unicode |
| Editor | Yes    | Unicode | No     | Unicode |

Note 1: changing Options -> Editor -> Behavior -> "Copy text in rich text format" did not change the results (not that I would expected it to).

Note 2: Using Toad for Oracle Xpert (64-bit) with DB Admin Module version 16.2.98.1741. This behavior was not present with 13.3 Xpert (64-bit).

1. Are others able to reproduce these results?
  2. Is there a way to alter the configuration of the TSR grid copy behavior?

Thank you in advance.

We made a change in 16.2 so that copy/paste from grids would format nicely in MS Teams.

This change accidentally caused column headers to always be included. A workaround is described here

It's fixed in the current beta, for Editor grids at least. Looks like it's still broken for QSR. I'll fix that too.

I do not always get headers.

I do not get headers when copying from Editor grids when using CTRL+C. Note: this is unlike your first step in the workaround video where you do get HTML (formatted) headers.

I do not get headers when copying from TSR grids when only 1 column in the result set and using CTRL+INSERT.

In Editor grids, using CTRL+INSERT seems to achieve the same behavior as your CTRL+SHIFT+C workaround. Why not just use CTRL+INSERT to exclude headers?

The ability to use either CTRL+C or CTRL+INSERT to control headers is desirable.

The CTRL+SHIFT+C does not seem to work with QSR/TSR.

I do not get headers when copying from TSR grids when only 1 column

Sorry, I meant to say "This change accidentally caused column headers to always be included when multiple columns are selected".

Why not just use CTRL+INSERT to exclude headers?

When multiple columns are selected:
In 16.1 and prior: CTRL+C => no column headers. CTRL+Insert => Column headers.
That was intended behavior, broken in 16.2, and will be fixed in 16.3

The CTRL+SHIFT+C does not seem to work with QSR/TSR.

Yeah, that's just a Toad shortcut, sorry.

I am using 16.2.98.1741. Toad/Editor grids are not broken for me, but the QSR/TSR grids do appear broken to me. The workaround suggests the opposite, that this issue is related to Toad/Editor grids. Hence, my continued confusion.

In 16.1 and prior: CTRL+C => no column headers. CTRL+Insert => Column headers.

I get this desired behavior in 16.2.98.1741 Toad/Editor grids with any number of columns selected. Toad/Editor grids never appeared broken to me. I do not get this desired behavior in 16.2.98.1741 QSR/TSR grids.

That was intended behavior, broken in 16.2, and will be fixed in 16.3

Are we saying both Toad/Editor grids and QSR/TSR grids were broken in 16.2 and QSR/TSR grids will be fixed in 16.3 while Toad/Editor grids were fixed by at least 16.2.98.1741?

Oh, you know what...I forgot one other factor in all of this.

It matters what the paste destination is.

If pasting into Word/Teams/Outlook, etc, that's when the header is always included with CTR+C from Toad grids. If pasting into something like notepad (or Toad) then there's no problem.

I can reproduce the QSR problems of headers always being included on multiple columns.

I'll make sure everything is right (Toad and QSR, pasting single or multi columns into either notepad or Word) for version 16.3.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi John – I tried the CTRL+Shift+C option and it works for me just fine. I’m all set. It’s okay to close this ticket. Thanks for the follow-up. Glenn

1 Like