Insert a new row into table with interrupted connection

Hi,

I just had the following behavior which I think might be a bug:

Due to a database restart my Toad Session was interrupted. I did not realize this and tried to insert a row into a table in grid view. Toad gave me a ORA-03114: Not connected and the possibility to to click OK or Reconnect. On clicking OK the same dialog appears again and again. On clicking Reconnect the "Test/Reconnect Sessions" window appears in the background but keeps displaying "Checking main session". I tried to connect to the DB with a new Toad and it was possible, so the database is up and running. Only way to get out of the first Toad was to kill it via task manager. Toad 12.1.0.22

BR Nick

Insert a new row into table with interrupted connection
Such a thing is not supported in Oracle itself, so in Toad is not possible as well.
If you had Failovered listener (two node configuration), then your SQL (plain SELECT) could continue in a case of node error. This is Transparent Application failover job.
But whenever client connection is broken because of client side, there is no way to continue anything in old session.

Toad was to kill it via task manager
This is problem in many Windows apps, so you may find that "Normal" and continue with your work.

Brg
damir

Such a thing is not supported in Oracle itself, so in Toad is not possible as well.

I do not want this to be possible. I just want Toad not to end up in that kind of deadlock when it happens. Toad told me that the connection is gone. That is OK. But after a click on OK it should then return to the program.

But after a click on OK it should then return to the program

Where would you like to return when there is no connection? Then "someone" should close all your opened windows assigned with dead session. Should it be reconnect automatically instead? Many questions not too much straight answers.

As you see this is not so easy ... but I admit that Toad has still problems when loosing connection. But people from Dell are doing their best to make that everyday better then day before.

I think it is quiet easy Damir. I do not know why this is so difficult to follow:

1. Click OK -> Dialog closes and you return where you have been before (with an unconnected session).

2. Click reconnect -> Toad reconnects (and maybe resends the Insert that failed)

In the current state it is like this:

1. Click OK -> Nothing happens

2. Click reconnect -> Nothing happens

The “test/reconnect session” feature of toad normally works without problems. I reconnect several sessions each morning when my pc wakes up from hibernation mode with toad running. This is no problem at all.

BR Nick

Nicola,

I do follow you, 100% percent.

But do you follow me and mine thoughts? Please reread once more mine previous post

:slight_smile: