invalid username/password after upgrading to 12.1

I upgraded Toad for Oracle from 12.0 to 12.1 and now when I try to log into our database i keep getting ‘invalid username/password’. The upgraded versions of the Data Modeler and the Data Analyst allow me to log in but not Toad for Oracle. The previous version of 12.0 is still there so I opened that and was able to login without a problem. The 12.1 version appears to be referencing the same tnsnames.ora file that version 12.0 is using. Why does Toad for Oracle 12.1 keep generating the invalid username/password error?

Try to do this (menu)

Utility|Copy User settings

and choose previous installation.

Brg

Damir Vadas

Hi

thanks for the reply. I followed your directions but I’m still getting the ‘invalid username/password’ error

Penny

Are you relying on the previously saved password from Toad’s settings files? If so, try manually typing the password ensuring the correct character case if
this is an 11g or newer database.

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 11:50 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] invalid username/password after upgrading to 12.1

RE: invalid username/password after upgrading to 12.1

Reply by svetlikp

Hi

thanks for the reply. I followed your directions but I’m still getting the ‘invalid username/password’ error

Penny

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Our database is Oracle 11g but I have tried manually typing both the username and password in in lower case but still get the error.exit

If you copied password file from:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\xx.x\User Files\CONNECTIONPWDS.INI

and this is not the same

OS domain user
OS/hardware hashing combination,

then you could not copy passwords because of security feature that Dell has implemented. And that is OK.

Good catch Damir - yes, you cannot copy connections passwords from one user domain to another. The hardware portion was removed some time ago - but yes, password security is still on the OS domain user and if you switch - then you ar going to have to re-enter them all.

I never save passwords, I always type them in manually so that should not be an issue. The username from the configuration file was stored in uppercase so i manually typed it in as lowercase in case that made a difference. although logging in via SQL*PLUS it seems only the password is case sensitive, not the username.

Bert,

THX for comprehensive details explained.

Still think hardware hash (CPU, MB …) is something that I’d like to see again.

THX

This is exactly what Michael pointed in first reply. 11g has case sensitive passwords

:slight_smile:

I agree with you - I voted against removing the hardware security tie - but product and dev management made this call based on significant user feedback which wanted it to be just the windows domain so that computer upgrades (common) did not become an issue. I get it - but like you I’d rather have left it in. But the users rule - which is good - so out it went :slight_smile:

Username is not case sensitive unless you are wrapping it in double quotes. MICHAEL, Michael, and MiChAeL, are all the same. “MICHAEL”, “Michael”, and “MiChAeL”
are not the same.

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:08 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] invalid username/password after upgrading to 12.1

RE: invalid username/password after upgrading to 12.1

Reply by svetlikp

I never save passwords, I always type them in manually so that should not be an issue. The username from the configuration file was stored in uppercase so i manually
typed it in as lowercase in case that made a difference. although logging in via SQL*PLUS it seems only the password is case sensitive, not the username.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I’m confused. I am manually typing typing the password in in the correct case. Are you saying this still has something to do with how the user profile was copied from the previous version? Should I delete the entire user profile and start from scratch???

@Bert,

In that case some kind of master passwords could be used as well …

I am manually typing typing the password in in the correct case.
If you did that, then in any entry you have erased previously saved (if exists!?) password

re you saying this still has something to do with how the user profile was copied from the previous version
No. This should Toad handle correctly. But if you did previous mistake (type) then password is gone.

Should I delete the entire user profile and start from scratch???
Hardly think this will help you at all.

But I have send one file location, what is the date of that file? If is newer then someone has "write" int it ... If date is older ... try to coy it over existing one

Before that make zip of all files and directories