Toad 12.1.1 Patch Available

Read Blog for Details:

Toad 12.1.1 Patch Available

I installed the patch and now I’m not able to connect to any DB instance. Unfortunately it’s not a patch that can be un-installed, so I guess I get to re-install toad from scratch. bummed.

Ø
not able to connect to any DB instance

Was there any error message or something you can post here in addition that would be helpful?

Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 12:58 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12.1.1 Patch Available

RE: Toad 12.1.1 Patch Available

Reply by dprice

I installed the patch and now I’m not able to connect to any DB instance. Unfortunately it’s not a patch that can be un-installed, so I guess I get to re-install
toad from scratch. bummed.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I did the 64-bit patch to my 64-bit install, got no error messages and all is working just fine. using Oracle 11g r2 64-bit fat client. Also tested with the instant client. So it does work. Thus same questions as Michael - what messages did yous see if any and what error when you try to connect ???

As a general patch-FYI, to see what’s addressed in the patch, in your 12.1 version, go to Help | Release Notes (there is a link to the resolved issues).

i’m getting “invalid username / password” errors and these have not changed. I was using toad just fine prior to this patch today…

We made some changes having to do with proxy sessions. Are you connecting by proxy? If so, what Oracle client and server version are you using?

Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 12:24 PM

Reply by dprice

i’m getting “invalid username / password” errors and these have not changed. I was using toad just fine prior to this patch today…

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

No proxy used. I have tried both direct and TNS named connections - both fail with username/password errors. I’m using a 32bit win7 PC.

Hm…can you work around it if you use double-quotes for username and password? …even if they shouldn’t be needed…just be sure to use correct case

no double quotes dont work either. I dont have time to debug this anylonger. I’m going to un-install and go back to the old version. thx

What is the Oracle Client version you are using?

Sent: Monday, March 03, 2014 3:29 PM

Reply by dprice

no double quotes dont work either. I dont have time to debug this anylonger. I’m going to un-install and go back to the old version. thx

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

The problem is the combination of the Oracle 10.1 client and the Toad 12.1.1 patch. Don’t install the patch if you are stuck with that Oracle client. The problem will go away if you can upgrade your Oracle client.

Sorry.

No one should be stuck on a client version that Oracle does not support. See metalink doc 161818.1 and note that 10.1 is not even offered for extended support - it’s dead as of Jan 2012. Users who think they must remain on older client should be on 10.2.0.5 - which had extended support until Jul 2013 - and which offers some limited extended support until Jul 2015. Basically Oracle’s position is everyone should be using 11g R2 or 12c clients. You can always use a newer client than your database. In fact if you’re running Windows 7 or 8 then you must be running a newer client since 10g clients are not certified for the newer windows versions - not even win 7.

>No one should be stuck on a client version that Oracle does not support.
Look what Oracle officially state:
All software downloads are free, and most come with a Developer License that allows you to use full versions of the products at no charge while developing and prototyping your applications, or for strictly self-educational purposes.
So if someone has no license (money!?) fro upgrade … what he/she can do? Have to stay on version that was paid and live with it.:slight_smile:

>See metalink doc 161818.1
Tittle of this note is: “Oracle Database (RDBMS) Releases Support Status Summary”
And here we are not speaking about RDBMS but Oracle client parts. This subject is more detailly described in another note:
207303.1-Client / Server / Interoperability Support Matrix For Different Oracle Versions
In that note, exist one table which shows compatibility Clients/DB. Here is clearly stated that 10.1 is compatible with:

Was #6
Was #6
Was
Was
Was
12.x is not supported at all.

Was-a supported combination but one of the releases is no longer covered by any of Premier Support , Primary Error Correct support , Extended Support nor Extended Maintenance Support so fixes are no longer possible.

Was**#6** - For connections between 11.1 (or higher) database server and 10.1 / 10.2 database server across a database link the 10g end MUST be at 10.1.0.5 / 10.2.0.2 (or higher) respectively in order to use PLSQL between those versions. (This does not apply to normal 11g clients to 10g database server only server to server and a few very specific client products, such as Oracle Forms). See Note:4511371.8 for more details.

>You can always use a newer client than your database.
This is not generally true. For instance official statement from Oracle:
There are problems connecting from a 10g client to 8i/9i where one is EBCDIC based. See Note:3564573.8
And if you use some new tools, maybe their result would not be compatible when you will deal with lower value of database tools…not to mention compatible parameters which cannot goo too deeper.

>Basically Oracle’s position is everyone should be using 11g R2 or 12c clients.
How does it fit that in picture of all mentioned before?

>10g clients are not certified for the newer windows versions - not even win 7
Uf … uf … uf…
Oracle 32 bit software should never run on any 64 bit OS (officially Oracle statement), but it is more than normal that many Ora Clients works exactly in that mode (i.e. Toad was working on such a combination recently - until 11.6). So certification in that context has meaning when you find yourself in trouble, what can Oracle Support tell you. If you are in unsupported combination they can say-sorry, otherwise they have to help you (if you have paid that).

So if someone has bought Toad 12.1 and work with 11g database and lower versions only, why he/she has to go to newer Oracle client?
If he/she has no need for any kind of support why on heaven’s earth upgrade must happened? Is that Toad requirement?

And for the end, I do not understand if Toad 12.1 was working nice with Oracle 10.1 client, how come that patch could ruined that compatibility so suddenly. Or I missed something?
Brg
Damir

Oracle 10.1 client is not supported on Win 7 - period. And since Win XP is gone as of next month - people must be on at least Win 7 these days. So no matter what the docs say and what the user budget is - if you install old Oracle client that is not certified for your windows versions then you already are in a bad place. So forget for the moment the patch - let’s just talk common sense, best practice. You should not expect good things when running old software that is not certified with your version of windows. If that means you need to spend more money with Oracle - then that’s the cost of doing business. We build on top of that tech stack. If the foundation is shaky then bad things might happen - like this issue with the patch. But that’s not a toad bug - it’s the cost of being out of date on software. If people cannot afford to upgrade their client software, then they should not be on Windows 7, 64-bit or anything else we all know everyone wants and is doing. You can’t have it the way you want, it just is not supportable …