"Limit Grid Fetch" value

Hi All ... I am trying to display 5000 records in Toad Data Grid.

To make that happen I modified the "Limit Grid Fetch" value as below.

But Data Grid is showing only 500 records !!!

(record count is more than 500 )

What am I missing ?

Thanks,

Shiva

image001.jpeg

If you tell a grid “go to the last row”, the ‘limit grid
fetch’ feature will stop after so many rows have been fetched to ask if
you want to continue.

If you want to get 5000 rows to show up on your initial fetch, find the OCI
Array Buffer size option and set that. I don’t recommend you set it that
high though. 500 gives the best all around performance. Low settings mean a lot
of trips across the network. High settings mean allocating a lot of lots of
memory for each fetch, even if only one row comes back.

You need to change a different option

Set OCI ARRAY BUFFER SIZE to ‘5000’ – that will grab 5,000
records per fetch. You may not like the performance hit though.

You can leave it to 500, and just page down in the grid till you get to row 5000

Changing the “OCI Array Buffer Size” worked for me.!!! Thanks.

However,on doing so,I noticed that “Limit Grid Fetch” variable got changed to
same value.

Is it expected ?

By the way, could you tell little bit more on how “Limit Grid Fetch” is used.

( Sorry if you find this question very repetative. )

Thanks,

Shiva.

Morning Shiva,

OCI Array Buffer Size is the number of ROWS that Toad will fetch in one
network trip when a SELECT is executed. According to the help, 999 is
the maximum and 500 the default. Mine is set to 1,500 and Toad doesn’t
complain!

The bigger you make this setting, the more memory Toad must reserve
before each SELECT call. Even if the select returns 1 single solitary
row, Toad has to allocate space for whatever your setting is.

SQLPlus defaults to 15 rows. (SET ARRAYSIZE 15) by way of comparison -
so if you traces the same query in Toad and SQL
Plus, Toad would execute
far fewer FETCH calls than SQL*Plus to retrieve the same results.

Limit Grid Fetch (not available in Toad 10.0) causes the grids, anywhere
in Toad, to fetch ‘n’ times the OCI Buffer size then to stop fetching
and prompt you for permission to continue. If you have this set to 1,
the default, and OCI Buffer at 500, then each time to run a big SELECT,
you will be prompted every 500 (1 * 500) rows.

If you change OCI Buffer to 1,000 and do the same SELECT, you now get
prompted every 1,000 (1 * 1,000) rows.

Change Limit to 3 now, and you will get prompted every 3 * 1000 or 3,000
rows. And so on.

HTH.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

I think I forgot to Thank You Norm.

Have a wonderful day.

Cheers !!!

Shiva.

Hi Shiva,

I think I forgot to Thank You Norm.
No worries. Welcome.

Have a wonderful day.
It's snowing! :frowning:

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else. We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it. We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes. If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Hi,

Can i get 55,000 rows in grid of toad, if i update OCI Array Buffer Size to 55,000 ?

Regards,

Shilpa

Leave the setting at the default of 500. If you want to load an entire query result into the grid, just do a CTRL+END in the grid and all rows will be retrieved.