Live RE

Hi,

Live RE - great idea…
…but

1. whichever workspace I drag the ietms into, shortcuts only get added to the first workspace
  2. I’d like to be able to get other individual items, eg procedures, etc this way too.

Kind regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. whichever workspace I drag the ietms into, shortcuts only get added to the first workspace.

Thanks for your notification. Unfortunately, there is a bug. At the moment it works this way - the shortcuts are added only to workspaces where the Auto Complete option is enabled (see the WS Format | General tab). So, in your model, only WS1 has this option selected.
If you select a WS where Auto Complete is disabled and drag the items there, nothing happens, which is a bug. The shortcuts should be added to the selected WS and to other WS where Auto Complete is on automatically.
We will fix it. CR # 47 191.

Workaround: I do not recommend to enable the Auto Complete in other workspaces because if you selected it, shortcuts of all objects existing in your model would be added to the WS automatically. I suggest to add the shortcuts to the WS from Model Explorer (select them, CTRL+SHIFT+drag and drop to the WS) or right-click the WS and select Complete from Model.

Note: Movie on the Auto Complete function is available at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1670&categoryID=158

1. I'd like to be able to get other individual items, eg procedures, etc this way too.
    Thanks for your suggestion. We will consider it. CR # 47 192.

Malcolm, thanks very much for your co-operation!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

Another Live RE question. Live RE seems to be the only way to bring entities into an existing model but it doesn’t seem to bring relationships which seems to me to be the best reason for modeling!!! If I use “standard” reverse engineering, there is no way to specify a model, it always creates a new one! So… there is no way to reverse engineer a table (or few) at a time and add to it as you go, is this a valid observation? Am I missing something here because this seems ludicrous to me and I can’t believe this hasn’t come up before.

Hello,

LIVE RE allows you to add only entities, views and synonyms to your existing Oracle models. Relationships are not loaded during LIVE RE. I’m sorry.
Standard RE always creates a new model.

To update your existing model, you can do the following:

1. Use Model Update. - Open the model that you like to update and select Model menu | Model Update. You will go through the Model Update Wizard that is similar to standard RE Wizard. Select objects you like to load. Then you are automatically switched to Convertor where the changes will be merged and the existing model will be updated.

2. Do standard RE -> Aa new reversed model will be created, so you have the old model and a new, reversed model. Now you have several options what to do:

a) merge the models via Convertor (Model menu | Alter Scripting, Model Merge) - please see Help file, Convertor topic.

b) merge the models quickly via Simple Model Merge (Model menu) - see Help file, Simple Model Merge topic.
Flash movie:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=2065&categoryID=158

c) copy the objects from one model to another.
There are many ways how to copy entities. E.g. simply select the entities + relationships in WS (use SHIFT for multiple selection), press CTRL+C, activate the other model and press CTRL+V. - see Help file, Copy Entities topic.

Other ways are shown in the flash movie at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1676&categoryID=158

Note: When you have a look at the Help file, please search via the Index tab. Simply start to type the words, the topic will be found in a sec.

If you have any questions, please write me back.

Regards,

Vladka

Message was edited by: vladka