Model explorer

Hi,

It would be useful to be able to select a table (etc) and then (from context menu) scroll the currently displayed work space to bring this into view (if its shortcut is present on the workspace).

Regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Just to be sure I understand well,
Right-click an entity in Model Explorer to see some kind of ‘Find a Shortcut in Current Workspace’ option.
If the entity is not in the WS, a message will appear. If it is, the entity will be hightlighted. However, if there are more shortcuts of the entity in this WS, which one should be selected?

Malcolm, please read this thread where this issue has been discussed. Thanks.
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=6661

If you have any remarks, please write me back. Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

I understand about the entity shortcuts being in more than one workspace.

However, if there are more shortcuts of the entity in this WS…
How would I create more than one shortcut in a WS? Once I have created one the entity is no longer in the list to add again.

…which one should be selected?
I would suggest all should be selected and either;
A) centre on one with a “Next” option
or
B) zoom to a scale to show the bounding area containing all the shortcuts.

Kind regards
Malcolm

Hello Malcolm,

Let me reply.

How would I create more than one shortcut in a WS? Once I have created one the entity is no longer in the list to add again.

There are many ways how to create shortcuts. Some of them are shown at:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?externalID=1669&categoryID=158

You're right, if a shortcut of Entity1 exists in WS1, the shortcut will not be available in the list in Model Complete dialog for this WS. Nevertheless, you can add another shortcut e.g. this way: select the entity in WS or Model Explorer, press CTRL+SHIFT and drag and drop it. To add a shortcut of relationship, e.g. right-click a shortcut of an entity and select Fill Parent and Child Objects.
Etc.

Please find attached an example - shortcuts of Film entity.

I would suggest all should be selected and either;
A) centre on one with a "Next" option
or
B) zoom to a scale to show the bounding area containing all the shortcuts.

Thank you for your suggestion. However, IMHO I think it would be more complicated than it is now.

I imagine this situation: I need to find particular shortcut of Film entity in particular WS.

Current behaviour:
I don't have to think of any WS and simply find the Film entity in Model Explorer and unfold its Shortcuts folder. Here, I can see a list of all the entity shortcuts with information on which WS the shortcuts are. I double-click any and the WS will open automatically, the selected shortcut will be centered and highlighted. If it is not the right one, I double-click another.

Your suggestion:
Firstly, I need to think about possible WS where the shortcut might be. Then I right-click the Film entity, select the appropriate option and see the result. - If it's not found in the WS, I need to select another WS (or probably would take the steps described above as Current beaviour). If the shortcut is there, I click Next and Next to get to the right one. - Yes, to click Next and double-click a shortcut is similar, however, in this case, you need to have an additional Next button.

Well, I think the current behaviour is quite simple and relatively fast.
In any case, it is a topic to discuss. If you and other users have any remarks and would like to share your suggestions, let me encourage you to do so. We'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Regards,

Vladka

Hi Vladka,

I think you are probably right.
It seems the user only had a single workspace and would like to have gone more directly to the entity.

Regards
Malcolm