Comment: Cannot CLOSE Tab

This problem has been going on for the past 2 Upgrades and was not fixed.

A TAB(s) will not close. Once a TAB will not close in an Editor, any additional TAB opened by that particular SQL Editor is also not Closeable.

TOAD Requires TASK MANAGER in order to close the SQL Editor.

Most common reason is I do NOT close the Procedure Tab before I put my laptop to sleep. The next morning, the SQL TABs are no longer close-able.

What does not fix the problem. Apparently, not in the next release.

Is your connection still open when you close your laptop?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 5:57 PM, tom.dierkes bounce-tomdierkes@toadworld.com wrote:

Comment: Cannot CLOSE Tab

Thread created by tom.dierkes
This problem has been going on for the past 2 Upgrades and was not fixed.

A TAB(s) will not close. Once a TAB will not close in an Editor, any additional TAB opened by that particular SQL Editor is also not Closeable.

TOAD Requires TASK MANAGER in order to close the SQL Editor.

Most common reason is I do NOT close the Procedure Tab before I put my laptop to sleep. The next morning, the SQL TABs are no longer close-able.

What does not fix the problem. Apparently, not in the next release.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Gene L. Bradley Jr.

Systems Analyst

Office of Information Technology

Jackson State University

1400 J R Lynch Street

P.O. Box 17750

Jackson, MS 39217

ph 601.979.1042

fax 601.371.9146

email gbradley@jsums.edu

*In God we trust; all others bring data. * ~W.E. Deming

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT

This electronic transmission is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone (601) 979-1042. Thank you.

Yes, the connection is still OPEN.

ONCE the tripping point has been tripped, than any additional TAB opened in that SQL Editor will also remained opened, permanently.

Every time I start Toad I open 3 SQL Editors.

1. The first is for Ad Hoc
  2. The 2nd is for Local Stored SQL *.sql
  3. The 3rd is for PL/SQL Procedures
    It is the PL/SQL Procedures which will become unclose-able tab.

I can copy a new PL/SQL Procedure into the unclose-able tab and compile it just fine. But the tab is still not close able.

For what it's worth, I have never had that problem. And I tend to leave Toad open for weeks at a time, mostly just closing it because there is an update. :slight_smile:

Tom, can you access other things in Toad when you wake it up? Have you tried doing a reconnect?

I know if I have lost my connection overnight, sometimes the reconnect window gets hidden behind Toad - when this happens, I can't click on anything else until I locate that dialog box and click on a button to close it. Is this perhaps what has happened?

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 1:16 AM, tom.dierkes bounce-tomdierkes@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Comment: Cannot CLOSE Tab

Reply by tom.dierkes
Yes, the connection is still OPEN.

ONCE the tripping point has been tripped, than any additional TAB opened in that SQL Editor will also remained opened, permanently.

Every time I start Toad I open 3 SQL Editors.

1. The first is for Ad Hoc
  2. The 2nd is for Local Stored SQL *.sql
  3. The 3rd is for PL/SQL Procedures
    It is the PL/SQL Procedures which will become unclose-able tab.

I can copy a new PL/SQL Procedure into the unclose-able tab and compile it just fine. But the tab is still not close able.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

He said his connection is still open and can compile ans execute in the tab.
I think he should go to setings and set a time out.

His database must not be checking for idle connections.

Thoughts?

On Oct 24, 2017 8:03 AM, "phyllis.helton_1150" bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Comment: Cannot CLOSE Tab

Reply by phyllis.helton_1150
For what it's worth, I have never had that problem. And I tend to leave Toad open for weeks at a time, mostly just closing it because there is an update. :slight_smile:

Tom, can you access other things in Toad when you wake it up? Have you tried doing a reconnect?

I know if I have lost my connection overnight, sometimes the reconnect window gets hidden behind Toad - when this happens, I can't click on anything else until I locate that dialog box and click on a button to close it. Is this perhaps what has happened?

I described what may be the trip wire which lends to the condition. It may be a false cause.

I am perfectly capable of continuing to work with the tabs as uncloseable. It does mean that over time I will probably accumulate more tabs in the SQL Editor than is practical.

Sometimes, or often, in order to keep the number of tabs down, I will paste in another PL/SQL into the tab, compile it, and now the unclosable tab is now supporting a different procedure. (This is not comfortable to do, but I have done this often enough it should not be uncomfortable.)

Once we have tripped the uncloseable wire, if I open a new blank tab in the SQL Editor, that tab is permanently open.

I always operate with 3 SQL Editors going. When the uncloseable trip wire happens, it is only the 3rd SQL Editor which has this behavior. The SQL Editor, by the way, cannot be closed either. It will prompt me about any tabs with unsaved content, but it still will not close the tab. Meanwhile, the other 2 SQL Editors, if I were to close their tabs, they do so just fine.

Quite often, the 2nd SQL Editor has several tabs opened with a local *.SQL file. Never a problem. So, this relates to the PL/SQL Procedures in some way.

Not every time the computer goes to sleep does it trip the closeable wire. It is not 100%. Often enough to think in those terms, but there are exceptions when it did not.

As I said, this has been going on for several releases now. I never said anything because I figured someone else was making the case and eventually, the new Toad Releases would have some fix. I am a pretty bland guy. Enhancements are just bloat ware to me. Team Coding just means that the very first time after you have restarted Toad, that you close a tab, that TOAD is going to protest with [Control ‘dp Team Coding’ has no parent window]. OK to that and I will not seem Team Coding come up again until I have shut down Toad and brought it back up and then closed that first tab.

Hey Tom,

Have you tried resetting your user files under Utilities -> Copy User Settings? The last error you mentioned about Team Coding sounds like a corrupt INI or GUI settings issue. Resetting your user files should fix that issue and may also fix your other issue with the Editor as well.

-John

I never said anything because I figured someone else was making the case

If you see something, say something. Usually no close scenarios are dropped sessions or something similar. What you describe sounds quite unique. I'd follow John Bowman's suggestion first just to get rid of whatever funk is causing the error about the docking panel for Team Coding.

The Editor does several checks during a close tab attempt.

1. Text modified check - prompts for file save if ad hoc or loaded from file, prompts for compile if loaded from database
  2. Prompts for cancellation of active debug session, running SQL, compiling PL/SQL, and fetching all remaining records in the grid
  3. Prompts for commit/rollback if you're using the threaded queries option and the threaded session is in transaction and if you have the option set to prompt (Oracle|Transactions page in Options)
  4. If you use Team Coding it is notified so that it can do what it needs to
    Most of those checks should result in some sort of modal confirmation dialog if a close blocking scenario exists. If you are seeing no dialog and since you're still able to use Toad we can rule out that a prompt has been pushed behind Toad.

Does the method of your close tab matter? You can click the X on the tab itself, use rt-click menu over tabs, or the toolbar button. I would try various methods next time just in case for some reason you're using the X and the tab control has stopped processing your clicks.

Michael

Most excellent idea about resetting the ini files.

At one time the ini files did not move forward quite as well as one would hope and I used to have to make all my custom changes with every upgrade. I can still do that again. My only hesitation is the connections ini is old enough that there are a few connections where I no longer know the password(s).

Would you not figure I would try every method possible for closing the tabs? Close Toad and the two SQL Editors close, the third SQL Editor prompts if I have an unsaved tab, and then stops closing. Connections would still be maintained.

I can approach from the individual tab or the SQL Editor or for Toad in general. Normal behavior until the unclosable tab tripwire has been crossed.

I have mentioned more than once this 3rd SQL Editor is for PL/SQL Procedures. I suppose it might be significant if I mentioned I

1. key or paste in the procedure name
  2. Copy ALL
  3. Close the Describe Object form which
  4. Returns to the open Tab
  5. A
  6. Paste
  7. Compile.
    This is as opposed to using the [Load Database Object] which I NEVER do. I say never, but if I look at the drop down (as in recently opened list), I see a couple procedures written in the last couple years and then the procedures go back a decade+ ago. So I will amend NEVER to RARELY.

So perhaps my method is unorthodox (though faster) and I am my own enemy.

My only hesitation is the connections ini

Connections are stored in Connections.xml so backup that file and copy it into your user files folder with Toad closed following the reset.

Would you not figure I would try every method possible for closing the tabs?

I had to ask.

I have mentioned more than once this 3rd SQL Editor is for PL/SQL Procedures

We heard you loud and clear. I was simply outlining everything I can see in the code that is a close blocking scenario. When the tabs do not close does it always include a prompt to save modified tabs? If all of your tabs are unmodified do you recall seeing the issue? Also, are you using Team Coding and choosing "No" to the save prompt? There is some logic there to handle checkin prompting when choosing to not save modified PL/SQL.

So perhaps my method is unorthodox (though faster) and I am my own enemy.

That's a perfectly acceptable way to load objects and should function the same as using the load from db window. Once you do the compile the editor tab associates itself with that loaded object as if you used load from db window.

Michael

There was no attitude by the statement. I repeated myself concerning how I used the 3rd SQL Editor because it is puzzling that only 1 SQL Editor is ever affected.

If I always remember to close all the tabs in the 3rd SQL Editor, then I can run Toad as one would expect for days and days. Just making sure it sleeps ever night and sleeps on the trip from office to home and home to office without any open tabs.

IF there are any modified tabs, then yes, there will be a prompt.

IF all the tabs are unmodified, then there will be no prompt and no complaint. I can click, click, click and there would be no response.

<Also, are you using Team Coding and choosing “No” to the save prompt?>

I am using Team Coding? Never crossed my mind. Team Coding showed up as a feature with a Toad Release. The NO which I respond to is Toad Complaining that I am not with the program of new features. I only see the complaint once per restart upon closing the 1st PL/SQL Procedure tab.

I am using Team Coding?

I don't know, that's why I asked. Team Coding is a feature that would take active participation on your part to setup and use. You would know if you are using it or if someone at your organization has set it up. I think the best first option is to follow John Bowman's advice and reset your user files. Report back after some time running in this fresh environment to let us know how it goes.

Michael

“I am using Team Coding” was a rhetorical statement.

I have checked a few times to make sure I had set nothing up to support or to lean towards Team Coding.

Thank you all for all your help on this. You have already put a lot of time and thought into this issue.

Even before the ini file, I suppose I should stop and see if I can MAKE the condition happen on reliably, on purpose.

I have just encountered this issue for the first time using Toad 13.0.0.80. Have used many versions of Toad before and I’ve been using this particular version for a few months and this is the first time it has happened.

I had many connections to different databases with numerous editors/schema browsers, however, in one particular editor window, I couldn’t close ANY of the tabs. The connection to the database existed and everything worked perfectly when running code in the tabs, I just could not close them. This makes it difficult to shut down Toad in a clean fashion!

I tend to hibernate my laptop every night, then on starting up I “Test all Connections”. This has been faultless for as long as I have used Toad, so I don’t believe this is the cause of the problem.

Every now and again I cleanly shut down my applications and reboot the laptop. This is one of those occasions and is what made me realise Toad had screwed up. The only way to stop Toad was from the Task Manager.

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem. Currently I am running Toad 12.12.0.39 but this has been an issue for some versions now. OS is Win10 x64, Toad and Oracle Client are 32-bit. This appearently only happens, when a session lost it’s connection (using no multithreaded tabs, btw). I cannot exactly reproduce the exact circumstances, as it sometimes works and sometimes not. Maybe it is somehow connected to “auto-save Editor contents”, because with “fresh” connections (i.e. open connection -> lose it forcibly -> reconnect) this never happens. Also the number of connections does not seem to be relevant, as this happend to me on one connection and also with six or more. But it only affects previously disconnected sessions. If other connections were live all the time, their tabs close just fine.

Also I can confirm that besides killing the toad.exe process nothing else exits the application. I even tried examining open handles and force close them once. IIRC that did not help, either.

HTH,
Julian

Using Toad 13 and still this bug exists and it’s being around since the 1st version I ever used of Toad. It’s the easiest thing to reproduce. How many extra years do we have to wait to get this stuff fixed? It’s not a cheap piece of software. This and many other annoying, obtrusive and critical bugs render it unusable.

Usually only about one beta after we can reproduce the problem!

Such as?

We want to fix bugs. We fix all the bugs we can. It's not fair for you to just make statements like this and not provide details.

I already reported bugs previously, and had some experience with customer service. There are just so many that I cannot spend my time reporting them.

For instance, the one I’m suffering from now: you make some modifications in some package, let’s say you create a new function. You compile it into the database, then try to run the function… It won’t appear on the list of functions for “Set Parameters and Execute”. Maybe you need to close de database connection and open it again; maybe you need to restart Toad several times - go figure.

10 minutes ago I had to restart Toad, too, because it refused to set breakpoints.

Add to that that it’s impossible to save breakpoints for a project, and you have to reset all of them every time you restart the program (which happens quite frequently due to freezings, etc.). It renders it all almost unusable.

I just tried this and for me it worked. I double-clicked a package from the schema browser to load it to editor. Then added a few function in spec, compiled it. Then added it to body and compiled. Then clicked "debug" and "run" off the main menu and the new function was there. Maybe you did some different steps, I'm not sure. You should not need to close the connection and reconnect. And if restarting once doesn't fix something, restarting more than once won't help either.

I see what you mean about breakpoints not saving after Toad is restarted. That was logged as a bug about 2 weeks ago. I am not the developer for the editor so I can't speak for him, but I think he will have it fixed in the Toad 13.2 beta cycle.

A memory leak in the Editor is fixed in the soon-to-be-released version 13.1, so hopefully that will take care of some of those AV's.

If you have time to report any more bugs, please give details in a separate thread for them and we'll do our best to resolve them.