Moving projects from one PC to another (internal version manager)

Hi,

at a customer I’m working with Data Modeler 4.3 and using the internal version control manager. I had to move the installation from one PC to another. Now I don’t know how to open my project. After starting TDM the version manager is showing an empty list.

I have already found this thread (Copying/moving projects from one version to the next), but unfortunately the original PC doesn’t exist anymore, i.e. I have no access to the files previously stored in the C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\Installation #\VersionManager folder.

What I have are the servers.xml and versions.xml file plus a collection of txv-files.

Is there a possibility of importing these into the version manager again?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Provided you have the xml and txv files and the models that were versioned on the original PC, you should be able to make the version manager on the new machine work as explained in the thread you have already read. You just need to edit the projects.xml file to reflect current paths (and possibly create necessary directories if they don’t exist).

Regards,

Lukas

Hi Lukas,

thank you for your reply. The problem is that I don’t have the projects.xml. I only have servers.xml and versions.xml plus all txv-files. Before moving I have copied all files in the project directory. I didn’t know at that time that TDM is also storing some important information in the user profile. Now this is not available anymore. Is it possible to create manually a projects xml?

Regards,
Gerald

OK Gerald, I have to check properly with QA or test myself for all the information necessary to edit in that XML, but my thoughts are that the easiest way in your case should be to create a new versioned project in your current installation of TDM, copy the files you have from the old PC to your user’s *AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\Installation #* directory and edit all the files in Version Manager that contain paths and other specific info, in my installation it would be e.g. projects.xml, servers.xml, possibly users.xml (so that GUIDs matches with projects.xml etc.).

I don’t know when I will get to check this, so please go ahead and give it a try and let me know if you come across some issues.

Regards,

Lukas