version manager projects.xml getting replaced with empty file

I am using the file system as my version manager and it is on one of our corporate network file shares for use across the team. On a few occasions I have found TDM trying to overwrite the existing projects.xml file used for version control with a new one, basically wiping out the links from version to the model. I have always been able to recover from a backup and I am able to save anything I am doing to a local file, but it is quite annoying. Has anybody ever had this issue before?

I think it might be related to being connected through a VPN and then getting kicked off the network after the VPN connection goes down, but I’m not sure that has been a variable related to every overwrite event.

Craig

Hello Craig,

Could you please specify what specific version control manager you use? Also, have you been able to determine during which actions TDM tries to save/overwrite the projects.xml file? Knowing that would help us a lot.

Regards,

Lukas

Here is an example of something that is happening. All that happened was I ran a model diff between two models to get the alter script. I had to go to a meeting
and the screen locked and for some reason it can’t find the network directory that has the projects.xml file. Then, when I hit the OK button it wipes the file out. I normally don’t catch what it says and just hit ok and lose my stuff. In this case I caught
it and was able to copy my file over and then restore it. I’m not sure why it is trying to create a new directory.

Craig

From: Lukas Knapek [mailto:bounce-LukasKnapek@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:55 AM

To: tdm@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] version manager projects.xml getting replaced with empty file

RE: version manager projects.xml getting replaced with empty file

Reply by Lukas Knapek

Hello Craig,

Could you please specify what specific version control manager you use? Also, have you been able to determine during which actions TDM tries to save/overwrite the projects.xml file? Knowing
that would help us a lot.

Regards,

Lukas

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Modeler - General
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Version I am using is 5.3.4.13

Craig

Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2015 4:55 AM

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Modeler - Discussion Forum] version manager projects.xml getting replaced with empty file

Reply by Lukas Knapek

Hello Craig,

Could you please specify what specific version control manager you use? Also, have you been able to determine during which actions TDM tries to save/overwrite the projects.xml file? Knowing
that would help us a lot.

Regards,

Lukas

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello Craig,

We have tried to reproduce the issue, but we weren’t able to encounter the error you talk about.

Could you answer some more questions for us?

1. Are you using the TDM internal version manager (the one in Expert Mode Menu | Version Manager | Internal Version Manager)?
  2. Can you please describe your setup in more detail? As far as we can understand, you connect to a server via VPN and the server contains TDM projects on which multiple people from multiple locations work? (If you could screenshot your Options | Version Manager form, that would be great!)
  3. Once the error appears, TDM overwrites the projects.xml file on the server? This confuses us a bit, since the error says it is not able to access the file.
    Regards,

Lukas

Yes

Normally I work remotely through a VPN. The projects.xml file is stored on a windows file share server, as well as all of the different versions
of the models. Though the message I sent yesterday I was on site and not using the VPN.

Once I hit OK, the file gets overwritten. To me it seems that it somehow loses connection to the network and since it can’t find the folder and the
projects.xml file, it creates a new one once it gets the connection back. Since I was not on the VPN yesterday it happened just when I had my machine locked for 40 minutes.

Craig

Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 7:02 AM

Reply by Lukas Knapek

Hello Craig,

We have tried to reproduce the issue, but we weren’t able to encounter the error you talk about.

Could you answer some more questions for us?

1. Are you using the TDM internal version manager (the on in
    Expert Mode Menu | Version Manager | Internal Version Manager)?
  2. Can you please describe your setup in more detail? As fat as we can understand, you connect to a server via VPN and the server contains TDM projects on which multiple people from multiple locations
    work?
  3. Once the error appears TDM overwrites the projects.xml file on the server? This confuses us a bit, since the error says it is not able to access the file.
    Regards,

Lukas

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello again Craig,

Just to give you an update, we haven’t been able to reproduce your exact issue yet. Although we have encountered some errors related to projects.xml being stored on remote server, we have not yet seen the file being overwritten by TDM. It seems to be quite a rare problem. Anyway, we will continue to analyze this issue, I will let you know as soon as we reach some kind of solution or workaround.

Meanwhile, if the issue seriously interferes with your work, you might want to consider an alternative version control manager, such as SVN, which is fully supported by TDM.

Regards,

Lukas