New installation (3.1.7.36) constantly hangs

Long time TOAD user, new TDM user here.

First day of installation (3.1.7.36 on vista). I am experiencing non-recoverable hanging of TDM every five minutes or so, just adding columns to a table in a physical model, nothing else. Unless I quit the dialog and save after adding each column I lose work, which is of course unacceptable. What can people suggest for this? We
need to settle on an ER modeler in a day or two and so far this is clearly a major blocker for TDM.

An update to this after a few hours of trying.

It can also completely lock up in various cases, including: typing a new entity name, right clicking an entity and selecting “Edit…”, clicking the save button and editing a relationship.

An occasional error when trying to save is:

Source: Microsoft JScript runtime error
Script: PERAttributeMY
Description: Object doesn’t support this property or method
Row: 24
Column: 3

Callstack:
(there is no callstack)

…although the above error is nowhere near as frequent as it just locking up.

Hopefully enough information can be gathered to fix this problem. If there is anything regarding my platform that can help please let me know.

Hello,

Very sorry to hear about the problems. Anyway, I have good news. This kind of problems was fixed in current Beta 3.2.1.12. Please download the Beta from this site:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/ann.jspa?annID=150

check it out and let us know if it works fine for you.

We look forward to your feedback.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

Vladka

Thanks! I will try that soon. I assumed it was a vista problem but running in XP SP2 compatibility mode yielded the same issues. I then moved TDM to an XP machine and it has been running great. Perhaps with the beta I can move back to my vista machine.

Thanks!

Please let us know your experience then. Thanks very much!

Regards,

Vladka + TDM Team

So far so good on the crashes since using the beta. I have some otherquestions and issues that are much more minor but will post thoseappropriately elsewhere. Thanks again.

So far so good on the crashes since using the beta.
Thanks for letting us know.

I have some otherquestions and issues that are much more minor but will post thoseappropriately elsewhere.
O.K. Feel free to ask.

Regards,

Vladka

I too am experiencing these same hang conditions when adding/editing attribute names.

Can you tell me if this fix has been made available as an official patch to the supported version of TDM. I was going to download and use the beta but I noticed the warning that it is a completely unsupported version. I’m in the middle of an important project and I am a little wary about switching.

If there is no supported patch can you give me an idea of how stable and usable the latest beta drop is?

Best Regards,

Jeff

Hi all,

as Vladka write,this problem was fixed in Beta.This issue was only on Windows XP during tests.Vista Business 64bit EN was running without this error.

There are some specialities on Vista,so maximum information will be useful for us.Like running programs,privileges and so on.Ofcourse that this is useful for Win XP too :wink:

Tomas
QA

Hi Jeff,

I was going to download and use the beta but I noticed the warning that it is a completely unsupported version. I'm in the middle of an important project and I am a little wary about switching.

If there is no supported patch can you give me an idea of how stable and usable the latest beta drop is?

Well, Beta is Beta and we cannot guarantee that no problem occurs.
Feel free to test the Beta a little to see how stable it is. Nevertheless, I can say that no critical error has occurred in the Beta.

Generally, you can continue working on your project in the Beta and then switch to next official release v. 3.2.x as soon as it is released (planned GA date is 17 July).
In any case:

1. Remember to back up your project regularly.
  2. Once you start to modify your model in Beta and use its new features (right angled mode etc.), do not open it in older version 3.1.7. Wait for the v. 3.2.x official release.

Regarding support, if you have ANY questions, please feel free to write us here - to our Modeling community forum.

Regards,

Vladka

I am running on XP Pro SP2. We won't be using Vista anytime soon around here.

I have captured additional system information for you below but I understood from Vladka's post that the problem had already been identified and fixed so I am not sure how helpful this will be at this point.

Since the fix has already been made to the beta, I was simply wondering if that fix was also available also for the production version. And if not, is the beta version suitable for doing production level work?

-Jeff

Here are a few screen captures of the system info and processes that were running. Note these were taken just after restarting TDM and not 'during' the hang. I am running with 'Debugger User' authority.

I am running on XP Pro SP2. We won’t be using Vista anytime soon around here.

I have captured additional system information for you below but I understood from Vladka’s post that the problem had already been identified and fixed so I am not sure how helpful this will be at this point.

Since the fix has already been made to the beta, I was simply wondering if that fix was also available also for the production version. And if not, is the beta version suitable for doing production level work?

-Jeff

Here are a few screen captures of the system info and processes that were running. Note these were taken just after restarting TDM and not ‘during’ the hang. I am running with ‘Debugger User’ authority.
system.png

Vladka,

OK, I just saw your reply after I posted my last message. I will give the beta a try and see how it goes. Thanks.

-Jeff

These informations are sometimes useful for us.We can find something about programs and their known problems.

There were issues with some antiviruses,which then “fight” with TDM (on scripting level).If we know your programs(not your private or company data ofcourse),than we can try to install them together with TDM and decide if it’s problem TDM or another program.

Tomas
QA