One Click Export to Excel Instance - personal.xlsb (for Excel Macros) in XLSTART folder does not automatically open/load when transferring data to Excel

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but in Toad Data Point, whenever I create an ad-hoc report and use the “One Click Export” tool to transmit the data to an “Excel Instance”, I would then like to be able to quickly run any one of many of my Excel Macros on the data, as soon as the data has finished transmitting to the Excel instance. My Excel Macros are in my file personal.xlsb in the following file structure: C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART . However, when using the One Click Export, the personal.xlsb file does not automatically open, and I always have to open it manually to run the macros. Is there some trick to getting the personal.xlsb file to open along with the One Click Export to an Excel Instance? Please note that whenever I open an Excel File normally, the personal.xlsb file automatically opens in the background, just not when I do the One Click Export from Toad Data Point. Any ideas for me? I am on Windows 7, Excel 2010, and Toad Data Point 3.4.

Thanks,

Richard

You need to open an *.xlsm file first, then use the One-Click export to Excel Instance. This will use the open Excel that has the macros instead of opening a new blank instance. I just tried this and the macros work fine.

Debbie,

Thank you for the quick response! It is much appreciated.

To add to your Toad wish list, maybe someday, would it be possible to add an
additional option to the One Click Export options, to say “Excel Instance (Macro Enabled) ”, which would then send the Toad data to a .xlsm Excel file? That would then alleviate the need to open up a .xlsm file first, before doing the transfer.
Just a thought…

By the way, I think Toad is one of the finest programs I have ever worked with for analysis and programming of data. I love all the thought and tools you have put into this product, as well as
your constantly striving to make your product even better. That speaks very highly of your team and your pride in your product! Kudos!

Richard

Richard B. Haseltine

BDS Supplier Management - Long Beach

Phone:
562-230-9200

Fax: 425-865-4600

From: Debbie Peabody [mailto:bounce-Debbie_Peabody@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 2:21 PM

To: toaddatapoint@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum] One Click Export to Excel Instance - personal.xlsb (for Excel Macros) in XLSTART folder does not automatically open/load when transferring data to Excel

RE: One Click Export to Excel Instance - personal.xlsb (for Excel Macros) in XLSTART folder does
not automatically open/load when transferring data to Excel

Reply by Debbie Peabody

You need to open an *.xlsm file first, then use the One-Click export to Excel Instance. This will use the open Excel that has the macros instead of opening a new blank instance. I just tried
this and the macros work fine.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad Data Point - General
notifications altogether.

Toad Data Point - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

[H][H]I am not sure I know how to do this. When you save New file in Excel it just opens a worksheet. You can to save as xlsm and add macro to make it a macro file. The only way I know to get data into existing xlsm file is to open it. What am I missing from your request?

P.S. Glad you are enjoying the product.