ORA-06413 connection error using Spotlight

Win7 64-bit
32-bit Oracle 11.1.6.0 client (TOAD doesn’t like 64-bit oracle client!)
Spotlight 7.5.1.1538

TOAD 10.6 works fine.

When trying to connect to a database with Spotlight - receiving ORA-06413: Connection not open. This is regardless of which database I try to connect to.

Spotlight had been working fine immediately after install - same connection string working okay, built ‘spotlight’ user on databases okay, monitoing okay.

Now the connection error…

Ideas?

okay… answering my own question… haha…

I have 2 Oracle 32-bit clients installed. (Needed for different tools). When I remove the oracle 10g references from the system path, leaving the remaining oracle 11g client paths in place, Spotlight is happy.

I’m going to have to manually toggle between path setups in order to use either the 10g or 11g tools…

Whichever one Spotlight likes – put that one first in your path.
I’ll bet you can leave both in your path that way.

Hi John,

.... I'll bet you can leave both in your path that way.
Maybe!

I've had problems with applications using MDAC components when more than
one version of Oracle client is on the PATH. The problem is in the
registry which determines the exact name of the DLLs to be used to
access Oracle.

It's fine if you have one client, but in our case we have two - 7.3.3
(don't ask! and 9i.) and the result is carnage with bits of client
loaded from different versions of Oracle. And the application doesn't
work.

On Unix, we have "oraenv" to prevent this very problem of more than one
client on the PATH, so I'd advise only having one client, if at all
possible.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Yeah, it was just a guess – something worth trying. It just depends on
individual circumstances. I have about 6 clients installed (8i, 9.2, 10g instant
and normal, and 11g instant and normal) and I have no problems.

John,

Yeah, it was just a guess - something worth trying. It just
depends on individual circumstances. I have about 6 clients
installed (8i, 9.2, 10g instant and normal, and 11g instant
and normal) and I have no problems.

I've got 7.3.3 and 9.2.0.8 at the moment, soon I'll have 11g as well. I
don't have problems at the moment but I've changed my registry to use
the 9i dlls for MDAC apps. Which is fine because the DLL names are such
that they don't exists in 7.3.3. It doesn't work so well the other way
around!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Norman Dunbar
Contract Senior Oracle DBA
Capgemini Database Team (EA)
Internal : 7 28 2051
External : 0113 231 2051

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk