Scheduled task not running like Test mode in 3.1

I have a job that fails each week when it runs but completes all steps but the email step. If I run it in Test mode it works just fine. I have moved the email step further down so it will update my job montoring table as job completed because I have everthing I need (except the email saying it is completed) to see what happens next week. My co-worker has has has similiar experiences where the scheduled job does not work but test mode does. Attached is the tas job and log file of the failure and the one in test mode.

AllClaimsWeekly-Server.tas (37.5 KB)

AllClaimsWeekly-Server2012-10-01 21-28.log (5.45 KB)

AllClaimsWeekly-Server2012-10-02 12-15-55.log (14.9 KB)

The attached files aren’t making total sense to me. For example, I do not see the run activity “Run_GPG_IP” or the SQL script “GetFormatedDate-Fridays.sql” anywhere in the tas file you attached.

I do see that you are using a Run Automation script within your script. How big is that script? Is is possible to experiment with bringing those tasks into the one automation script?

As it is, nether log file is a full history of what is being executed. I suspect it has something to do with the run automation activity but I can’t be sure.

Also are your run activities executing as you want them to? I see this repeated error.
Run_GPG_IP did not respond to idle. Unable to change window state. This does look like a warning so probably is nothing.

Are you editing the log file by any chance? If so, please send me complete log files.

Debbie

I should have included the attached .tas job called by the main job. The encryption job runs GPG4Win on files with #Suffix# variable as part of the file name. It does have warning errors that don’t matter. All files get encrypted just fine and the activity is captured in the main log file as you can see. The next step after the encryption used to be to send the email that the files were ready for FTP transfer. I moved this step to the last step in the main .tas job to see what happens next week. I will let you know what happens next week. If it fails again I will run the entire job again instead of skipping the steps that worked (no dissabled steps) so you can see a direct comparison between scheduled and test mode.
PendingClaims Encryption.tas (20.5 KB)

Thanks for sending the other tas file. It seems clear there is an issue with running the other tas file from the first one. As mentioned move it all inline and see if this handles. I have entered CR104152 as I ran into someone else with this exact issue today.

Debbie

I will move the encryption steps into the main job instead of calling the enctryption job. This week the job stopped again after the called encryption job completed. It did not do any of the steps after that called job. I have attached the log files if you want to look at them. The one from yesterday is the failed job and the one from today I ran by clicking on run from the .tas job. The wierd thiing is that I have another job that only calls other jobs and that one works (each step calls a job but no encryption steps).

Thanks for your help,

I will move the encryption steps into the main job instead of calling the enctryption job. This week the job stopped again after the called encryption job completed. It did not do any of the steps after that called job. I have attached the log files if you want to look at them. The one from yesterday is the failed job and the one from today I ran by clicking on run from the .tas job. The wierd thiing is that I have another job that only calls other jobs and that one works (each step calls a job but no encryption steps).

Thanks for your help,

Thanks for your help,

Thanks for your help,

We will set aside some time later in this release to look into the use of running Toad Automation Script activity. Keep me updated on if the move to inline works.

Debbie

P.S. If it is a timeing problem you could try putting a pause activity at the end of your encriptyion script. Just a wild idea.

Hi Debbie, Hi all
Back to this forum for another problem like this one.

it’s a master script looping on a dataset and launching another script with results of dataset.

My script worked fine in 3.1 (remember ! problem with unicode header in modified script), and still working in interactive mode (opened in Toad and launched by the run button) but don’t work in scheduled mode.
I have this problem since 3.2 release of datapoint.

I’ve tried to find the reason why and i think what i find can be helpfull.

When the master script launching the second script, it seems not waiting for the return code, or the second script return the code before ending all tasks.

Debbie,

Moving the called script steps into the main script worked. The job ran just fine this week with no errors.

Now my monthly job that calls about 11 different scripts is failing miserably even if I run it in test mode. It runs one or two of the called scripts and then fails on the next script. Even weirder is that it kept running skipping the later called jobs one time. In the log file it looks as if it ran them and immediately completed (but did nothing in those called jobs). By repeatedly running the job (after disabling prior completed called jobs) it will run one or two more of the called jobs and I will eventually get done. Just very strange behavior.

• Greg

Can you run your script with verbose logging and send me a log file from it working and one from it failing? This might help me to see where it is hanging up.
Debbie

The Run automation script activity is creating a different app domain and executing the script. The parent app domain does not know anything about the child app domain and appears to now know how to work as a child. As mentioned, we intend to review this activity but have no solutions at this time.

Debbie

I looked at this today. I have reproduced the issue and see what the problem is. The solution is not obvious so I am passing to another developer. We will have fix for this release. I can also try and let you know what Beta this fix will be in.

Debbie