I often click a field in schema browser and do filtering based on that.
If I filter on multiple columns Toad starts to add parenthesis and that often messes up my way of working if I later go in and manually want to change the filter.
Can you please remove this behavior or make it possible to configure on/off?
My filter does not have parenthesis
Add to filter
Now the parenthesis are there
Does this change your result in some way?
I think the idea behind this that if the prior filter was more complicated, then no matter what you add.... if you "and" something to it, then the new filter will be "whatever you had before" AND "new filter"
If I add additional filters the parenthesis keeps multiplying and if I then decide to remove one filter criteria it gets messed up and you have to match parenthesis to get it correct
I wasn't able to reproduce this at first, then I looked at the code.
We only add the parens if your filter contains an "OR", but we aren't being very smart about it. In your case, the 'OR' is part of 'WO_ERROR'. I'll make it smarter.
Thanks, it is often the small things that gets you
Just came across this thread today. And YES, this behavior has been annoying for as long as I can remember. I am currently running toad 14.2. PLEASE, Is there a higher version I can install that allows me to turn off these automatic parens? They add unneeded complexity, and as often as not, cause syntax errors. My situation is slightly different than the OP. As I often comment out lines of the filter as I am working on a problem; but the auto paren feature just blindly adds parens to the first and last line, commented out or not.
here a sample from a table I am currently working on. I just added the last line using the "add to filter" command, then changed it to a wild card and then had to remove the auto parens because ORA-00907 missing right parenthesis error. I literally remove the auto parens every single time, and it is maybe the biggest annoyance I have with toad.
--and EHS_RISK_CTGY_DESC = '1 - High'
AND ACNT_CTGY_LVL1_NME = 'Unmapped Category'
--and PRCS_TYPE_CDE is not null
--and aset like '%AB%'
--AND (lower(PRCS_TYPE_CDE) like 'ab%'
-- or lower(PROJ_ACTY_DESC) like 'ab%')
AND PRCS_TYPE_CDE not like 'COROP%'