System.InvalidOperationException

I am receiving this error when writing SQL in editor, but I have not yet executed it. As far as I can tell, I am connected to 2 environments (Oracle db).

System.InvalidOperationException
Connection must be opened.
Stack Trace:
at Devart.Common.Utils.CheckConnectionOpen(IDbConnection connection)
at Devart.Common.DbCommandBase.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader()
at Quest.Toad.Db.ToadDataAdapter.InternalFill(FastTable table)
at Quest.Toad.Db.ToadDataAdapter.Fill(IFastTable table)
at Quest.Toad.Trl.BaseSqlTrl.ExecuteQuery()
at Quest.Toad.Trl.BaseSqlTrl.Execute()
at Quest.Toad.Trl.BaseSqlTrl.CreateData(ILiveCache entry, IFilterLiveCache filter, FilterInfo filterInfo)
at Quest.Toad.Trl.BaseSqlTrl.GetData(Boolean filtered, FilterInfo filterInfo)
at Quest.Toad.Trl.SqlTrl.GetFilteredTrls(FilterInfo info)
at Quest.Toad.CodeInsight.LanguageDialect.ReadObjectList(IConnection connection, IncludeInsight include, String schema, List1 owners, String partialMatch, Boolean filtering, String defaultSchema, List1 defaultOwners)
at Quest.Toad.CodeInsight.BaseDialect.GenerateInsight(IConnection connection, String defaultSchema, Boolean filtering, Insight insight, Boolean secondary, Boolean& hasSecondary, List`1 ownerList)
at Quest.Toad.CodeInsight.BaseDialect.GetInsight(IConnection connection, IParserChunk chunk, Int32 offset, String defaultSchema, Int32& startOffset, Boolean& hasSecondary, Boolean filtering, Boolean secondary, HotTokenInsight hotToken)
at Quest.Toad.Editor.Commands.InvokeMemberListCommand.FetchMemberListItems(Object editorText)

When I click OK, I receive this error:

Error trying to reestablish lost connection.
The connection was not closed.

I hit try again and then close and I seem to be fine.

This has happened to me twice so far today.

I am running v2.7.0.344 - I uninstalled and re-installed the program today. Will upgrade to 2.7.0.348 once I receive the upgrade notification again.

Thanks,
Michele

What type of Oracle connection are you using? OCI or Direct Connect? I would switch to an OCI connection that uses a Oracle client.

There is a screenshot in this posting that shows how to tell if you are using Direct Connect.

http://tda.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=29695&tstart=0

Debbie

I am using direct connect. I can’t figure out how to use OCI.

Do you have an Oracle Client installed? Or can you get the install media? There is an instant client available but this takes a little more manual configuration.

I have installed Oracle 10g, but cannot connect. My error message is listed in this thread:
http://tda.inside.quest.com/thread.jspa?threadID=29695&tstart=0

I downloaded the Oracle instant client, but can’t figure out how to install or configure it.

Send me screenshot of the error you get when trying to connect using the 10G client from the connection window. It sounds like you are saying that you have a client but cannot connect at all. The issues in the other post are after you connect the first time.

If you want to use the instant client there is a help topic in our help file named ‘Oracle, create connections’. Use the index to find. Scroll down to about the middle. But if you already have a full client I wouldn’t bother with the instant client as they don’t play well together on the same pc.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the error received when attempting to connect via OCI. Thanks.
11-9-2010 12-46-55 PM.jpeg

Your tns definition is not defined correctly. Do you have someone there that can help you configure this properly?

Debbie