In 220.127.116.114, I have dozens of connections saved. To clean them up, I want to select a bunch in the New Connection window, test the connection, then remove the ones that failed.
Trying this now, all(?) of the ones that I have connecting with an Oracle Client (either 19.3 full or 12.2 Instant) fail the test. If I go into Edit Login Record on one of the fails, the connect test succeeds. If I use the Toad clientless connection, the test from the New Connection window succeeds. However, I can't use clientless for most of my connections.
Not sure what other info to supply for troubleshooting...
If you already have connected with a client in Toad, I would keep the test limited to connections on that client. As you know, Toad can only connect with one client at a time, and it's not very good about switching from one to the other.
When you say "Test fails", do you have any more details?
I completely forgot about keeping to one client! And as I look around my connections, it's a mixed bag for sure. I think this may be related to the spurious "OCI-1" errors I get on new connections, which go away on a Toad restart. Man, I need to clean these connections up...
The error I'm getting is
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified. I'm thinking it's being generated client-side, because there's no connection failure on the server.
To add to the above: If you already have a connection open, we'll just try to connect with whatever client is already in use and you shouldn't get any "oci -1" type error. But if you don't have a connection open, and then you get one of those "Oci -1" errors, I'd say all bets are off on the accuracy of client errors and you should restart (or switch to clientless).
That error message does sound like it's client-side. Do you have multiple tnsnames.ora files, or is it possible that something has been deleted/renamed in your tnsnames and the old reference is still in your login window?
For 16.3, I added support for editing a few more fields for multi-selected logins. I thought I added "oracle client" here too but I see that I did not. I can add that if it will help you.
I have a single TNSNAMES.ORA file. Our DBs like to move around, so it's a "centrally managed" file on a network drive.
Also, I do have the "Connect Using:" box on my edit, which is the Oracle Client, so that's good. But to edit all of them is best left to a text editor, so...
I exported my 94 connections, unified the Home for all, dropped all connections and imported the "clean" list. I chose 4 connections at random to test. All of the ones that fail use direct connect syntax (host:port/service), as sometimes I need to bypass the tnsnames.ora file.
I picked the right day to do some Spring Cleaning on my Toad connections.
Thanks for the info. I got the "oci -1" error in there right off the bat, but after a restart it's working correctly. I'll see if I can get to the bottom of it and improve things in there.