Toad 12.5 hung on startup

Hi,

I’ve installed Toad 12.5 today over an existing 12.1 installation. After install I want to start Toad 12.5 and it hung on startup. The splash screen pops up and tell’s me “Checking for critical files…” And then nothing happens.

I run Toad on a Windows 7 Professional Client, CPU: Intel Dual Core 2.70 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit. Oracle Client is also 32-bit. Version 12.1 works fine.

Just checking here…can you verify that you downloaded the 32-bit version (since your using a 32-bit client), and not the 64-bit by mistake? I’m assuming
you used the ‘Toad for Oracle 12.5 Installer (for 32-Bit Oracle Client)’ link under ‘Base Edition’?

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 4:55 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12.5 hung on startup

Toad 12.5 hung on startup

Thread created by phartzsch

Hi,

I’ve installed Toad 12.5 today over an existing 12.1 installation. After install I want to start Toad 12.5 and it hung on startup. The splash screen pops up and tell’s me “Checking for critical
files…” And then nothing happens.

I run Toad on a Windows 7 Professional Client, CPU: Intel Dual Core 2.70 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 32-bit. Oracle Client is also 32-bit. Version 12.1 works fine.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

I had this issue as well. I used the 32 bit installer for the 32 bit oracle client.

Are any of you using Norton AntiVirus? We’ve written on the forums about this known issue for quite some time - Norton has a huge lag between when new versions of apps debut and when they recognize them correctly. The workaround is to whitelist the toad.exe or better yet the toad install directory so that Norton will not interfere (wrongly) with toad running …

I am not using Norton

OK - had to ask. Sorry it was not something that could help.

Hmmm…are you running Toad as Administrator? If not, can you please try that to see if it helps at all?

R2eq1: Are you also running Win7 32-bit or are you running Win7 64-bit?

I am running Win7 64-bit

I just tried running as admin and it worked. Weird, thanks for the tip.

Not really weird per se - our QA manager has blogged about this in the past:

www.toadworld.com/…/182.why-does-toad-not-run-on-windows-vista-unless-run-as-administrator.aspx

I run Toad on Windows 7 32-Bit. I’ve have Norton installed. I will test your solution on tuesday.

This seems to be the same problem that was discussed in the beta forum, but apparently the only solution was to run 64bit version of Toad with the 64bit Oracle client.

Hi,

I run Toad for Oracle as Admin this morning. Now Toad comes up. Thank you!

This one should be fixed in the first 12.6 beta.

As a workaround "Run as Administrator" may work for you. In our testing there have been mixed results. If this does not work for you perhaps your system administrator could elevate your privileges to include write access to Toad's installation directory.
Toad is attempting to obtain an exclusive lock on a couple of files to be sure that no other application (specifically a second copy of Toad) is accessing them at the same time. Toad does not write to its installation folder, but the current code requires
write access for the locked file check.

Michael

On 06/10/2014 01:48 AM, phartzsch wrote:

RE: Toad 12.5 hung on startup

Reply by phartzsch
Hi,

I run Toad for Oracle as Admin this morning. Now Toad comes up. Thank you!

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Could you list the files or the folder that Toad is trying to use for locking? Providing write access to that folder could be the fix.

Kari

Correct, if you have read/write access to the “Toad for Oracle 12.5” folder under program files this will not happen. Alternatively you can install Toad somewhere
other than program files

From: Kari Hakkinen [mailto:bounce-hakkika@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 3:02 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Toad 12.5 hung on startup

RE: Toad 12.5 hung on startup

Reply by Kari Hakkinen

Could you list the files or the folder that Toad is trying to use for locking? Providing write access to that folder could be the fix.

Kari

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Spent hours searching for the problem.

Finally the solution in my case it was default printer that was inaccessible over the network.

Once I have set another local printer - the problem was gone.