Toad World® Forums

Toad won't start properly


#1

Hi!

I’m running Toad for Oracle 10.6 on Windows 7 enterprise. I just rebooted,
and now Toad won’t start.

I don’t get any error messages, and after the splash screen disappears,
the regular Toad windows shows up – but it is completely unresponsive. I
can’t move it, resize, click any button – nothing.

I get the same results whether I click on the main icon or on an sql file
– though, in the latter case, I do get the see the file in the window,
though it’s still frozen.

What happened? And how do I fix this?

Thanks!

Fred


#2

Did you try to reboot again? Is Oracle connection, try a sqlplus session to
test? Remove Toad completely and reinstall?

Groetjes,
Wim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 17:03, Bartlett, Frederick H. - Hoboken <
fhbartlett@wiley.com > wrote:

Hi!

 

I’m running Toad for Oracle 10.6 on Windows 7 enterprise. I just rebooted,
and now Toad won’t start.

 

I don’t get any error messages, and after the splash screen disappears,
the regular Toad windows shows up – but it is completely unresponsive. I
can’t move it, resize, click any button – nothing.

 

I get the same results whether I click on the main icon or on an sql file
– though, in the latter case, I do get the see the file in the window,
though it’s still frozen.

 

What happened? And how do I fix this?

 

Thanks!

Fred

#3

No, instead I completely wiped \Users…\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad
for Oracle\10.6\User Files and restarted Toad. Now everything’s fine (in a
blank-slate sort of way).

But I’d still like to know what happened …

When I restore the wiped files, I get the same problem.

There are some 85 files in User Files with filedates since my last successful
Toad start, so it’s gotta be in one of them – but that’s a lot
of files to diff. Could anyone narrow it down for me?

For instance, could .tmp files be the problem? The size of the SavedSQL.dat file
(1.4 MB)? Some setting in an .ini file?

Thanks again!

Fred


#4

Start with deleting the tmp files. They have no use whatsoever and in several
problem solving scripts are the first to kill. And maybe you are in luck and the
culprit is one of those files.
Groetjes,
Wim

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 17:44, Bartlett, Frederick H. - Hoboken <
fhbartlett@wiley.com > wrote:

No, instead I completely wiped \Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Quest
Software\Toad for Oracle\10.6\User Files and restarted Toad. Now
everything’s fine (in a blank-slate sort of way).

 

But I’d still like to know what happened …

 

When I restore the wiped files, I get the same problem.

 

There are some 85 files in User Files with filedates since my last
successful Toad start, so it’s gotta be in one of them – but that’s a
lot of files to diff. Could anyone narrow it down for me?

 

For instance, could .tmp files be the problem? The size of the SavedSQL.dat
file (1.4 MB)? Some setting in an .ini file?

 

Thanks again!

Fred

#5

You can also enter DEBUG=1 in your toad.ini file in the [settings] section. This
will spit out a log file (ToadDebug.txt) of startup operations. Examining this
file may give you an idea of where the slowdown is occurring, then we can pin
down the file. Don’t forget to take this out of your ini file when
you’re finished.


#6

Did you have an auto-connect setup that might be failing? Open CONNECTIONS.INI
and look for AutoConnect=1


#7

On both the working and non-working CONNECTIONS.INI, I have AutoConnect=0.

Then I used the non-working set with the working CONNECTIONS.INI, and got the
same result.

Finally, I used the working set with the non-working CONNECTIONS.INI and
SavedSQL.dat – that worked, and gives me my history back.

But the cause of the problem is still a mystery.

Anything else I can look at?

Fred


#8

See if ToadActions.dat is the culprit.


#9

Nope; I cleaned out User Files, then unzipped my working set and added the old
CONNECTIONS.INI, SavedSQL.dat, and ToadActions.dat from the nonworking set.

It works, and well enough. I’ll replace the various look’n’feel settings
eventually.

I should mention that I ran SysInternals’ procmon – the answer is probably
in there, but, if so, it didn’t exactly leap out at me. The last files
accessed were

Dxgrid.TfmLogin.TabControl1.grd, Toad.ini, and ver.txt. The latter two are
identical between sets; I then emptied the GUISettings directory and filled it
with the files from the working set – still no joy.

If you want a procmon file, let me know what kind of filters you want applied
and where to send it.

Thanks again,

Fred


#10

Did you just come back from travelling? I’ve seen a case in the past where a
user was in one office and connected to the local printer, then the next week
came back to his home office, but Toad was still looking for the other printer
(which was still available on the network but much much slower)

I think we’ve fixed this situation, and re-reading your email below, it sounds
like this isn’t your situation, but I thought I’d mention it anyway incase
it rings any bells.


#11

Well, there might be something …

I work both in a home office and in a ‘real’ office. Today was the first
time in ages that I rebooted while physically connected to the company network.
The last few times I’ve done a reboot, I was connected via VPN from my home
office. So there might be a network issue somewhere.

However, the only printers I have installed on my laptop are the ones in the
company office; I don’t print at home. So, based on your anecdote, you’d
think I’d experience this kind of problem at home instead.

Fred


#12

Well, I’m about out of ideas, but if you zip up the ‘slow’ user files
folder and send it to me, I will see if I can reproduce the problem and
hopefully fix it.