Toad Beta 12.5.0.7 gets stuck on "Checking for critical files..."

Hi,

I have had no problems using Toad Beta 12.5 up to version 12.5.0.6, but since version 12.5.0.7 when ever I try start Toad it gets stuck displaying screen saying “Checking for critical files…”

The screen disappears when clicked, but the Toad.exe remains running.

Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Regards,

Kari

Hi Hakkika,

Please review the following link

support.quest.com/SolutionDetail.aspx

Thanks

Anand

Hi,

I tried the steps described in the link. I didn’t find any *.tmp files or any other “problems” described.

I removed folder C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle\12.5 beta and reinstalled version 12.5.0.6. It worked OK.

After installing patch 12.5.0.8 Toad started behaving badly again.

I have the same problem with more than one PC. I suppose something has changed with the beta between versions 12.5.0.6 and 12.5.0.7

I wonder if I am the only one facing this problem.

Regards,

Kari

hakkika,

I have just upgraded from Toad 12.5.0…x to 12.5.0.8 x64 and have no problem at all.

My 5c should be to rename current user Toad home, and to start Toad like it is initial install… When I say Toad home I mean a directory defined as:
*%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle*

I hardly think that install dir (which you mentioned) is causing problems.

If that pass (and have no reason why shouldn’t) then your settings are messed.

Brg

Damir

Damir,

My latest test was to install Toad 12.5 beta on a freshly installed Windows PC (a Windows 8.1 (64bit) vm actually).

All I did was install Oracle client v11.2.0.3.0 (32-bit), then latest Toad 12.1 (32-bit) and as a last step Toad 12.5 beta with the 12.5.0.8 update. The beta behaved exactly the same i.e. stuck in “Checking critical files…”

If I remove the beta and re-install it with 12.5.0.6 update I have no problems.

I’m pretty sure the problem is with Toad.

Regards,

Kari

Hi,

I just finished testing the 64bit version of the latest Toad Beta on the same PC where the 32bit version fails to start… This time no problems what so ever.

There definitely is something wrong with 32bit version.

I hope someone at Quest software reads this.

Regards,

Kari

There are only two additional checks that follow checking for critical files at the splash screen before the message changes text. The first checks for and applies restrictions that are specified during installation. The second loads options for Toad's group
policy manager server. If neither of these settings apply to you perhaps you had a missing file during the check for critical files process and the dialog was displayed behind Toad. If you are in a position to verify try Alt+Tab when it is stuck to toggle
away from Toad and back to it.

Michael

On 12/17/2013 12:35 PM, hakkika wrote:

RE: Toad Beta 12.5.0.7 gets stuck on "Checking for critical files..."

Reply by hakkika
Hi,

I just finished testing the 64bit version of the latest Toad Beta on the same PC where the 32bit version fails to start.. This time no problems what so ever.

Regards,

Kari

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

This is probably a long shot. Are you doing an Auto Connect? I am wondering if you are might be using Team Coding and it’s trying to connect to a VCS Provider?

Stephen

From: Michael Staszewski [mailto:bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com]

Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:44 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad Beta 12.5.0.7 gets stuck on "Checking for critical files..."

Re: Toad Beta 12.5.0.7 gets stuck on "Checking for critical files..."

Reply by Michael Staszewski

There are only two additional checks that follow checking for critical files at the splash screen before the message changes text. The first checks
for and applies restrictions that are specified during installation. The second loads options for Toad's group policy manager server. If neither of these settings apply to you perhaps you had a missing file during the check for critical files process and the
dialog was displayed behind Toad. If you are in a position to verify try Alt+Tab when it is stuck to toggle away from Toad and back to it.

Michael

On 12/17/2013 12:35 PM, hakkika wrote:

Reply by hakkika

Hi,

I just finished testing the 64bit version of the latest Toad Beta on the same PC where the 32bit version fails to start.. This time no problems what so ever.

Regards,

Kari

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Or

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Stephen,

I don’t use Auto Connect nor have I ever used a VCS with Toad.

Regards,

Kari

Michael,

I tested again with the 32bit versions (Oracle client & Toad)

I tested with no others apps running i.e. the only application window present was Toad. There were no dialog behind Toad when I tried Alt+Tab.

This time also Toad beta version 12.5.0.6 worked perfectly, but after patching to version 12.5.0.8, it again gets stuck at “Checking for critical files…”

To me it’s very strange that there is exactly the same behaviour/problem on every PC I have tested. I have tested with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. Some PCs have a lot of other applications installed, several versions of Toad and Oracle stuff. The only common factor is that I have regional settings on Finnish/Finland, but that should not have any effect?

Regards,

Kari

I had the same problem.

I ran procmon.exe to see where the problem is. There was a never ending access to “TOADInstPD.pdl”.

I saw that that 12.5 Beta was installed in an other path than the original version (12.1)

12.1: C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.1

12.5 Beta: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta

I changed the directory during installation to: C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta.

And now 12.5 Beta works fine.

regards,

Martin

I can confirm that installing the beta to C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta fixed my problem also.

This requirement should be documented.

Regards,

Kari

The beta I had tried to download the .EXE file instead of the .MSP file as it should be. So I had to download the beta update by hand. I'm now using version 12.5.0.10.

Groetjes,
Wim

google.com/+WimdeLange

2013/12/27 hakkika bounce-hakkika@toadworld.com

Reply by hakkika
I can confirm that installing the beta to C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta fixed my problem also.

This requirement should be documented.

Regards,

Kari

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta notifications altogether.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Regarding the Beta trying to download the .EXE file instead of the MSP file and having to download manually - this is known and I reported it in the last beta update post. The automatic update should be back to normal after the next beta we do. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regarding the difference with the install directory locations - we’ll have to look into that, as that’s not expected.

Thanks for

Dennis

I just downloaded the latest beta installation package from www.toadworld.com/…/default.aspx and noticed that both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are in chinese. I only installed the MSI package as it already seems to be at version 12.5.0.10.

Anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Kari

I’ve had 2 or 3 other people ask me about this privately so wondering what’s up. So it could well be an issue on our side - but so far only a very few people have said anything…

I just tried it and you are correct. Run the .MSP file and it will be ok. We are still working out some of the kinks.

I’ve uploaded some corrected zip files, in case you want to do a fresh install, but as mentioned previously, just running the MSP will also work to correct your current install.

Is there some legit requirement to run the Beta app with administrative privileges? Mine sticks on checking critical files unless I launch with adminisrative privs. I hope this isn’t and intended expectation. I’m a rare exception within my corporation and withing my DOD network with quasi-admin capabilities. The vast majority of Toad users will never have it.

Just to update, tested this on Windows 7 64bit.

Even with the newest update 12.5.0.13 (32bit version), launch of Toad still hangs at “critical files”. But previous suggestions of installing Beta outside of Program Files(x86) helped this issue.

Installed into directory C:\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 12.5 Beta