Toad 16.0.90 for Oracle hangs after a Power outage . Perhaps one of the conf. files become corrupted?

There was a Power outage of 2 hours in the office when Toad was in use.
After the power came back, I started Toad and I saw an error message about invalid configuration file or something like that.
Then I could see that my settings were not being used and instead it was working with some default settings.
Since then, every time I start Toad it hangs with a "not responding" message on the windows title bar, and the same behavior exists when I exit Toad.
Also the options window hangs with a "not responding" message on the windows title bar.
Could you help to solve the problem?

Well, as long as settings were lost, I guess there is now no harm in resetting them completely.

1. Go to Utilities -> Copy User Settings
  2. Check "Reset to a clean set of user files from the base installation"
  3. Click OK
  4. Toad will restart and be configured as if it were newly installed.

For what it's worth, you may wish to update to 16.3 if you can. It has a feature that automatically backs up important user settings (like connections, sql recall, automation designer and other things) so that they can be restored in cases like this.

-John

But some of the history features are working and I prefer to save them, like sql recall history and schema browser history

See this post for info on how to restore certain features after resetting user files.

If there is something that you wish to preserve which is not listed there, please let me know.

I did copy user settings.

1. Started Toad . It takes a long time showing the screen initializing .. engine..Could be improved?
  2. I woud like to restore all my definitions in the Toad options window.
    Including fonts,colors ,toolbars position and settings, oracle definitions, windows positions etc.
  3. Problem after click on Toad options button. The options window opens and then hangs for a minute after click on cancel button.
  1. This should be better in 16.3 if you are able to upgrade. If you upgrade, please let us know if things have improved.

I woud like to restore all my definitions in the Toad options window.

Most of those things are in the file called Toad.ini. But your initial post was " I saw an error message about invalid configuration file or something like that." Without having any more details, such as which file was invalid, I can't promise you that your original problem won't return.

Problem after click on Toad options button. The options window opens and then hangs for a minute after click on cancel button.

To diagnose that hang, follow these steps to turn on freeze detection, and post the output here.

I turned on freeze detection and opened the Toad options windows then I click on cancel button where the freeze appears for 10 seconds.
Here is the output:

Freeze_output.log (130.8 KB)

Thanks.

So, the hang only happens for cancel, not when you click OK?

-John

With cancel the hang happens only for the first time I open the Toad Options after Toad start.
After that the hang dissapears.
Same behaviour for OK.

Do you need more details?

Sorry for the silence.

I looked at your call stack and it's just got a bunch of windows DLL's in there - not even any of our code, so I'm not sure exactly why this is happening.

Can you zip up and send your user files folder to me? Maybe I can reproduce it that way.

Steps to do that and my email address are here.

-John

I sent file by email.