Toad 6.6 bug: Version Control - Create New Object outside Toad requires disconnect/reconnect before object appears in Object Explorer and never appears in Perspectives

1. Adding a new procedure requires disconnect and reconnect before appearing in Object Explorer.
  1. Open Toad and connect to an instance containing a version-controlled database. Expand Programmability | Stored Procedure folder in Object Explorer within a version-controlled database in the connected instance. Right-click on the Stored Procedure folder and select Version Control | Show Perspective
  2. Using SSMS, create a stored procedure in that database.
  3. In Toad, right-click on the Stored Procedure folder in Object Explorer and select Version Control | Update Status.
  4. Right-click on the Stored Procedure folder in Object Explorer and select Refresh Item.
  5. In the Perspectives tab, click on Refresh.
  6. Note that the new procedure does not appear in either Object Explorer or the Perspectives tab.
  7. You have to disconnect from the instance and reconnect before the new procedure will appear in Object Explorer.
  1. Objects in the database but not in the repository (status = Untracked) do not appear in the Perspectives tab:
  1. Find the new stored procedure in Object Explorer and hover over its name. Note that the new stored procedure has a status of Untracked
  2. Right-click on the Stored Procedure folder and select Version Control | Show Perspective. Note that there is no Untracked section and that the new stored procedure does not appear anywhere within the Perspectives tab.
  3. Click on the filter icon in the Status selector and select (Custom). Filter on Status equals Untracked and click OK. All objects disappear from the Perspectives tab.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for posting this.

1. Adding a new procedure requires disconnect and reconnect before appearing in Object Explorer.

I use 6.5 , 6.6 and 6.7to test. As I try, when I finish the Step#4 (Click Refresh Item), I can see the New Procedure in Object Explorer.

I click like below, Is this the step #4 means?

1. Objects in the database but not in the repository (status = Untracked) do not appear in the Perspectives tab

The Untracked status, it’s means the object is not added to version control, but the perspective page is for reviewing all controlled objects for current configuration. So the untracked objects will not show in perspective page. If we commit the new procedure, then we can see it in perspectives page.

For more details: Help | Toad help | Use Version Control | Manage Objects and Scripts under Version Control

The Status filter only can filter objects have been shown in perspective page. So there no data show when filter as Untracked.

Regards,

Kelly

Your image is what I was referring to in my step #4. I have no explanation for why you get a different result than I do.

It would be helpful in items with an Untracked status were listed in Perspectives so we don’t have to hunt through all the Object Explorer folders to find all the objects that developers may have forgotten to add to version control. It would be easier to have them in one list, which we could then attach to an email. I’ll submit that as a feature request.

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I will try more for Object Explorer refresh problem.

For Untracked object show in perspective tab, I create TSS-1304 for it.

Thanks again,

Kelly

Any news on TSS-1304? It is tedious to have to check in new objects one at a time from Object Explorer. It also means I have nothing I can easily export (or at least screen capture) to send to our developers to remind them to check in their objects.

Thanks,

Mark Freeman
Database Administrator | R****ogue Fitness
1080 Steelwood Road, Columbus, OH 43212
MFreeman@RogueFitness.com