Toad Auto debugger doesn't work. Unable to find RAC connection information

Hi

I am trying to use debug option in toad 9.7 but it shows this message “UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=1)”

I found some information and it says that Oracle doesn’t support debugging accros RAC instances. We have a RAC instances and It was working fine until now but all of a sudden i faced the error message today.

Even I followed some instructions to create additional entries in tnsname.ora for each RAC nodes without load balancing parameter but it fails and faced the same error message.

Following is the tns entries.

Actual Entry

RAC =

(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = mcmsdb)(PORT = 1521))
(FAILOVER=on)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = mcmsdrac)
(FAILOVER_MODE = (TYPE = SELECT)(METHOD = BASIC)(RETRIES = 180)(DELAY = 5))
)
)

Instance 1

RAC1 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)
(PORT = 1521)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(instance_name = mcmsdrac1)
)
)

Instance 2

RAC2 =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS =
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)
(PORT = 1521)
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(instance_name = mcmsdrac2)
)
)

Please help me to get rid out of this issue .

Please any advises will be really highly appreciated.

Nobody is here to reply. And i think i have submitted my query in same product forums and in the same product official site.

Any help please.

I haven't seen your original posting I'm afraid. What errors are you getting?

If you are debugging on RAC then you might need to set up a tnsnames.ora entry for each node rather than just the whole cluster. Then connect and debug on that dedicated node rather than on the whole cluster.

I think the problem could be that the separate debugger session has connected to a different node from your main connection.

HTH.

Cheers,

Norm [ TeamT ]

On 21 November 2014 20:47:02 GMT+00:00, syedraoof bounce-syedraoof@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Toad Auto debugger doesn't work. Unable to find RAC connection information

Reply by syedraoof
Nobody is here to reply. And i think i have submitted my query in same product forums and in the same product official site.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Oracle notifications altogether.

Toad World - Oracle Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Hi Norm. [TeamT]

My original post was on 19 Nov 2014 at 11:32am as below.

=======================================================================

I am trying to use debug option in toad 9.7 but it shows this message “UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=1)”

I found some information and it says that Oracle doesn’t support debugging accros RAC instances. We have a RAC instances and It was working fine until now but all of a sudden i faced the error message today.

Even I followed some instructions to create additional entries in tnsname.ora for each RAC nodes without load balancing parameter but it fails and faced the same error message.

Actual Entry

RAC =

(DESCRIPTION =

(FAILOVER=on)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

)

)

Instance 1

RAC1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

)

)

Instance 2

RAC2 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

)

)

=====================================================================

As you can see in above tns-entries i tried using individual tns-entry for each node i.e. RAC1 for instance1 and RAC2 is for instance2 but still it gives me same error message "“UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=1)” when i connect to instance 1 and "“UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=2)” when i connect and use debug option from instance 2.

Hope this clears for you to help me out please.

Regards

Morning,

are you connecting to the RAC or RAC1 or RAC2 to debug the code. The error seems to indicate that you are on RAC.

Cheers,

Norm [ TeamT ]

On 23 November 2014 05:03:52 GMT+00:00, syedraoof bounce-syedraoof@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by syedraoof
Hi Norm. [TeamT]

My original post was on 19 Nov 2014 at 11:32am as below.

=======================================================================

I am trying to use debug option in toad 9.7 but it shows this message "UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=1)"

I found some information and it says that Oracle doesn't support debugging accros RAC instances. We have a RAC instances and It was working fine until now but all of a sudden i faced the error message today.

Actual Entry

RAC =

(DESCRIPTION =

(FAILOVER=on)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

)

)

Instance 1

RAC1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

)

)

Instance 2

RAC2 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = xx.xx.xxx.xx)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

)

)

=====================================================================

As you can see in above tns-entries i tried using individual tns-entry for each node i.e. RAC1 for instance1 and RAC2 is for instance2 but still it gives me same error message ""UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=1)" when i connect to instance 1 and ""UNABLE TO FIND RAC CONNECTION INFORMATION FOR RAC (INST_ID=2)" when i connect and use debug option from instance 2.

Hope this clears for you to help me out please.

Regards

--

By the way, also have a look at Bert’s blog on setting up RAC connections for Toad etc, it may be useful … http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/b/weblog/archive/2008/09/17/rac-the-casba.aspx.

Cheers,

Norm [TeamT]

No, i used separate individual connections to RAC1 and RAC2… It seems there was a typo on my previous reply. Sorry for that… Here is the actual message when i connect via RAC1

“Unable to find RAC connection information for mcmsdrac1 (INST_ID=1)” and via RAC2

“Unable to find RAC connection information for mcmsdrac2 (INST_ID=2)”

Evening.

Is this of any help to you? https://support.quest.com/toad-for-oracle/kb/37576 it seems to be similar to your problem.

Cheers,

Norm [ TeamT ]

On 23 November 2014 10:31:57 GMT+00:00, syedraoof bounce-syedraoof@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by syedraoof
No, i used separate individual connections to RAC1 and RAC2.. It seems there was a typo on my previous reply. Sorry for that.. Here is the actual message when i connect via RAC1

"Unable to find RAC connection information for mcmsdrac1 (INST_ID=1)" and via RAC2

"Unable to find RAC connection information for mcmsdrac2 (INST_ID=2)"

--

Evening again!

I have a funny feeling that your two instance entries should have the “server = dedicated” removed for debugging to work. Also, I assume that your two instances have the correct host pi address specified in your tnsnames.ora? You have xxx’d them out in your post for security purposes.

Cheers,

Norm [ TeamT ]

Good Morning…

Thanks for your assistance…

But still no luck. FYI, i am sure about the ip-address entries, it is linking to each node separately.

And about this link support.quest.com/…/37576 i already followed this but no luck from that one as well.

I tried with every things like by

Individual tns entries of the instances.

Removed “ADDRESS_LIST” and “SERVER = DEDICATED” for the instances

Host IP’s of the individual nodes is correct

Instance names are correct.

I don’t know what exactly the cause behind of this which is not allowing to use debug option.

Cluster Entry

MCMSDRAC_RE2 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = scan hostname)(PORT = 1521))

(FAILOVER=on)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SERVER = DEDICATED)

)

)

Individual Entry

RAC1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = 10.10.103.71)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

)

)

Below tns entry is from your given link www.toadworld.com/…/rac-the-casba.aspx

RAC1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=Node 1 IP )(PORT = 1521))

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(INSTANCE_NAME = mcmsdrac1)

)

)

No success.

Evening,
On 24/11/14 05:39, syedraoof wrote:

Thanks for your assistance..
I'm not sure I've provided any assistance yet! :wink:
But still no luck. FYI, i am sure about the ip-address entries, it is
linking to each node separately.
Ok, that's fine, I was just checking.
And about this link support.quest.com/.../37576
i already
followed this but no luck from that one as well.
Right, I've done a bit of searching on Toad World, and there is a mention of the fact that Toad 9 was when RAC debugging was first implemented in Toad but that it could be a problem sometimes as it was the first version.
It seems that this messages is output when the internal workings of Toad searches to make sure that the main session and the debugging session are on the same node. If it doesn't find an entry for the current instance number (taken from V$INSTANCE) in tnsnames.ora, then it assumes that the two connections are on different nodes, and barfs with this message.
So, we have to be sure of a couple of things:

• Are your instance numbers, on both nodes, 1 and 2? If not, then you must create your tnanames.ora entries for the individual nodes to use the instance number from V$INSTANCE and not just RAC1 and RAC2.
  • Are there any errors in the tnsnames.ora file? If so, the internal workings of Toad, searching for the instance entries, will give up and bale out without searching the remainder of the file.
    If everything looks ok, try moving the two RACn entries to the top of the tnsnames.ora file and try debugging again.
    If you want a tnsnames.ora parser that's pretty good at detecting invalid characters and syntax problems, have a look at http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/blog/2014/08/tnsnames-ora-parser/ where there is a download link. You'll need Java 1.6 or higher. It only does syntax analysis at the moment - I'm nearly finished the next version that does full (!) syntax and semantic analysis. It can also find illegal characters in the tnsnames.ora file, those nasty "invisible" ones that cause no end of problems! (Ask me how I know!)
    If you feed your tnsnames.ora into that parser, it might flag up any problems that could be causing your RAC debugging entries to be not found.
    Failing that, Bert, anyone - feel free to jump in! :wink:
    Cheers,
    Norm. [TeamT]

On 24/11/14 20:57, Norm [TeamT] wrote:

• Are your instance numbers, on both nodes, 1 and 2? If not, then you
    must create your tnanames.ora entries for the individual nodes to use
    the instance number from V$INSTANCE and not just RAC1 and RAC2.
    While I'm on the matter, I assume that your RAC instance names are actually RAC and not something else?
    What do you see on either of the RAC nodes when you run:
    ps -ef|grep i pmon
    If you don't see RAC1 or RAC2, then I'm pretty certain you need to set up tnsnames.ora with the correct instance names, rather than just RAC, RAC1 and RAC2.
    -- Cheers,
    Norm. [TeamT]

Please look for the below results

SQL> select inst_id, instance_number, instance_name, host_name from GV$INSTANCE;

INST_ID INSTANCE_NUMBER INSTANCE_NAME HOST_NAME

1 1 mcmsdrac1 mcmsdbl1

2 2 mcmsdrac2 mcmsdbl2

SQL> select name from v$database;

NAME

MCMSDRAC

[mcmsdbl1@root@/]#ps -ef|grep i pmon

grep: can’t open pmon

In TNS Files RAC1 and RAC2 is just the alias names which can be any thing.

RAC1 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = mcmsdbl1)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

)

)

RAC2 =

(DESCRIPTION =

(ADDRESS =

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = mcmsdbl2)

(PORT = 1521)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

)

)

You can see i provided the instance_names same as were in the above query result. But still it is giving me same error message.

Evening,

Try changing RAC1 to mcmsdrac1 and RAC2 to mcmsdrac2 in the tnsnames.ora. As I mentioned the debugger is supposed to be looking for an entry that matches the instance that the main connection is on. You are connected with an alias of RAC1 but the instance is mcmsdrac1. Ditto on RAC2 where the instance name is mcmsdrac2.

Hopefully that will work.

Cheers,

Norm [ TeamT ]

Hah!!! Finally… It works when i use Toad 10.6 instead of 9.7. Crazy!!!

You know what from Toad 10.6 i can use the debug option without any issue regardless how i connect either using individual node tns-entry or cluster entry and even the different alias names.

I tested with all the scenarios which i have gone through while connecting to the rac database for debug option using Toad 9 and it works without any issues/problem using Toad 10.6.

It means Toad 9.7 has an issue. :frowning:

Anyhow, thanks for your time on resolving my issue.

Thanks&Best Regards

I believe Norm’s last message is the key.

FYI, this gets a lot easier if you have the latest version of Toad and Oracle 11gR2 or newer. In that case, no special entries in tnsnames.ora are required, just select privileges on GV$INSTANCE and GV$LISTENER_NETWORK