Toad for Oracle 12.1 clashes with Oracle's 11g Forms Development Tools on Windows 7

We are upgrading our OS at work from Windows XP to Windows 7 (32-bit). Toad for Oracle 12.1 works just fine, until I install the 32-bit version of Oracle’s 11g middleware development tools (Forms and Reports Builders). The development tools work fine, but Toad can’t connect to the database any more. The first time you try to connect, it gives the message “Can’t initialize OCI. Error -1”. Subsequent attempts give the message “OCI_INVALID_HANDLE”.

We have verified that everything we’re using is all 32-bit (OS, Toad, Oracle development tools, and Oracle Client), so there’s no 64-bit issues (unless Oracle’s development tools are slipping something in, but we specifically downloaded the 32-bit version).

Any thoughts? We need both of these tools available to us, and we’re getting pressure to figure this out soon. Most of the company, except for our development team, has already gone to Windows 7, but we can’t until all our toosl play nice together.

Thanks, Dan

I found the problem: some of the environment variables that are created by Oracle for the Reports Builder were causing the error (mostly, ORACLE_HOME) and ultimately (at least for our purposes) are unnecessary.

I would strongly suggested to install them most highest client (administrator) for any of your database are.

In this way that ORACLE_HOME will be used only for Toad and proper env assignment (in batch script!) could be assigned just for running Toad.

Example of toad batch, which you will run as shortcut icon on Desktop:

set ORACLE_HOME=c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbclient_1
set PATH=c:\oracle\product\11.2.0\dbclient_1\bin;%PATH%
“c:\oracle\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 121\Toad.exe”

In this way your Toad will always use it’s home and your Forms may use their home in the same time as well.

Brg
Damir Vadas