TOAD for Oracle vs Oracle EM Tuning and Diagnostics packs

Hi All,

First time poster here, and also new to Oracle DBA (am a SQL Server DBA). We recently purchased TOAD for Oracle 12 to manage our oracle instances, but i have also been looking at getting the Oracle Enterprise Manager Diagnostics and Tuning packs (which is about another $5k more…).

As i am not too familiar with the ins and outs of TOAD or Oracle either, can anyone give any comments as to whether i need to push and try to get the Diagnostics and Tuning packs for performance monitoring/troubleshooting, or is TOAD for Oracle enough?

THanks in advance!

Which edition of Toad did you purchase? If you have the DBA Suite for Oracle, you already have Spotlight and SQL Optimizer which give you the diagnostics and tuning tools. If not, I would talk to your salesperson about upgrading to the DBA suite. I think you can get more bang for your buck by going that route vs. purchasing the OEM Diagnostics and Tuning packs. Plus DBA suite is a per seat license whereas OEM is named user/processor meaning you don’t have to adjust your licensing each time you get a new database or more users.

Toad for Oracle 12 XPert 12.0.0.61

Add-ons: DB Admin module

Is that the DBA Suite or not? Also, thaks for the cost/licensing tip…i am putting together a proposal for the OEM but now i may evaluate the cost of going DBA Suite…would be good to have a product expert ‘sell’ me on the DBA suite if i dont have it…

Thx.

DB Admin module is an add-on for Toad that extends the capabilities of Toad by adding more DBA specific features. The DBA Suite is a set of products that provide diagnostics, tuning, benchmarking and other capabilities. Here is a link to a product demo of the DBA suite that will give you a quick overview of the products the are included within it. [View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUw23MJidc:0:0]

I am almost certain that if you want to make use of Toad’s advanced tuning and diagnostic features, you MUST still be licensed for the tuning and diagnostic packs from Oracle.

Toad will allow you to use them, even if you don’t have a license, but as someone who has been on the wrong end of an Oracle license audit - in a past position - I can assure you that you really don’t want to go there

When you first install Toad, it prompts you to confirm that you have, or don’t have, the tuning and diagnostic license, and turns off those featured that use it if you say no.

With Oracle licenses, check, check and check again!

Cheers,
Norm. [TeamT]

Sent from my HTC

Not quite worded correctly. Toad offers many advanced diagnostic and tuning capabilities that DO NOT require Oracle OEM licensing. However Toad also offers
OEM replacement screens for those who don’t want to use OEM to do their OEM work – so those screens do require OEM licensing. But those are there for convenience for those who want to skip using OEM.

Again – Toad offers many screens and capabilities for diagnostic and tuning that DO NOT require OEM licensing.

From: Norm [TeamT] [mailto:bounce-NormTeamT@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:02 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD for Oracle vs Oracle EM Tuning and Diagnostics packs

Re: TOAD for Oracle vs Oracle EM Tuning and Diagnostics
packs

Reply by Norm [TeamT]

I am almost certain that if you want to make use of Toad’s advanced tuning and diagnostic features, you MUST still be licensed for the tuning and
diagnostic packs from Oracle.

Toad will allow you to use them, even if you don’t have a license, but as someone who has been on the wrong end of an Oracle license audit - in a past position - I can assure you that you really don’t want to go there

When you first install Toad, it prompts you to confirm that you have, or don’t have, the tuning and diagnostic license, and turns off those featured that use it if you say no.

With Oracle licenses, check, check and check again!

Cheers,

Norm. [TeamT]

Sent from my HTC

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks Bert, I appreciate the correction.

Cheers,
Norm.

Sent from my HTC

Hey Norm – clarification more than correction. We have some Oracle sales reps who say some very untrue things at time about Toad on this issue to purposefully
cause confusion.

From: Norm [TeamT] [mailto:bounce-NormTeamT@toadworld.com]

Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:57 PM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: Re: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] TOAD for Oracle vs Oracle EM Tuning and Diagnostics packs

Re: TOAD for Oracle vs Oracle EM Tuning and Diagnostics
packs

Reply by Norm [TeamT]

Thanks Bert, I appreciate the correction.

Cheers,

Norm.

Sent from my HTC

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Thanks all, so what i’m getting is that with TOAD (DBA Suite), it will provide advanced tuning and diagnostic capabilities that OEM can provide.

Being a rookie Oracle DBA, i’d love to see the main features of OEM tuning/diagnostic pack being covered by the TOAD application, or at least the most common features of OEM used by DBAs to investigate/monitor performance issues - this way it will make it easier for me to justify purchasing one over the other. Would anyone be able to demonstrate that for me? Or should i contact?

Here are links to a series a blog articles on Toad World that go in some depth about different DBA tasks and how you would perform them with Toad DBA Suite and with OEM.

www.toadworld.com/.../using-toad-dba-suite-for-oracle-with-oracle-enterprise-manager-part-1.aspx

www.toadworld.com/.../using-toad-dba-suite-for-oracle-with-oracle-enterprise-manager-part-2.aspx

www.toadworld.com/.../using-toad-dba-suite-for-oracle-with-oracle-enterprise-manager-part-3.aspx