Toad not working at all anymore

All,

I’ve been working all day with two Toad sessions, both in debug mode (ScriptDebug=1).

Since debug mode makes the scripts crawl, rather run, I turned it off in Toad.ini and restated one Toad session. The other was left running in debug mode.

When the scripts completed I closed both sessions, turned debugging on again and restarted Toad.

Now when Toad comes up, it does not present the usual “Select Session” popup, it just sits there and does nothing, not accepting any input.

I tried with and without the ScriptDebug=1 in the Toad.ini: no difference.

I even tried Toad 12.1 - still no luck.

What can I do to get Toad to work again?

Please help asap, without Toad, I’m uinable to do my work!

Best regards,
Abe Kornelis

Ok,

As a last resort I rebooted my laptop. Lo and behold: the problem has been magically resolved!
The cause will remain a mystery. might be a memory leak issue, but that’s just a guess…

I’m glad I can resume normal work again.

Kind regards,
Abe

I was about to say that maybe the login window was hidden behind the main Toad window. I thought we’d fixed that but possibly it came up again. On windows 7 and newer, if a window has focus, you can use the Windows key + Left or Right Arrow key to make it fill half of your monitor. That might have made the login window visible for you to see it. There is also Windows+Shift+Arrow to move a window from one monitor to another.

John,

thanks for the quick reply. I doubt that window overlaying was the cause. I tried a couple of times - it would be too much to require that on each and every occasion the focus should have shifted away in time to cause the effect you described.

Anyway, could it be that ticket 25314 ([View:http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/toad_for_oracle_beta_program/f/86/t/25314:550:50]) has escaped your team’s attention? It’s a major nuisance, as it prohibits me from visually validating results stored in an xmldata column. I know codepage issues are complex. If I failed to explain the problem clear enough, please let me know. I’ll be happy to provide more info to help you resolve the issue.

Abe

===

Hi Abe,

I have seen your XML thread and haven’t replied only because I don’t know what to tell you. I believe that the problem is happening between the database and client, and is out of Toad’s control. The OCI, when in Unicode mode, which is how Toad uses it, does not handle XMLTYPE very well. I wish there was something that we could do about this but there really isn’t.

If you go to the Schema Browser to look at that table’s data, behind the scenes we create a query like this:

SELECT

H.NUM_COL,
H.XML_COL.GetClobVal()
as XML_COL

FROM
JDORLON.HAS_XML
H

…and that will prevent the problem. So .GetClobVal() is a workaround you can use in the Editor.

-John

From: kornelis.abe [mailto:bounce-kornelisabe@toadworld.com]

Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2015 12:34 AM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Toad not working at all anymore

RE: Toad not working at all anymore

Reply by kornelis.abe

John,

thanks for the quick reply. I doubt that window overlaying was the cause. I tried a couple of times - it would be too much to require that on each and every occasion the focus should have shifted away in time to cause the effect you described.

Anyway, could it be that ticket 25314 () has escaped your team’s attention? It’s a major nuisance, as it prohibits me from visually validating results stored in an xmldata column. I know codepage issues are complex. If I failed to explain the problem clear enough, please let me know. I’ll be happy to provide more info to help you resolve the issue.

Abe

===

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.