Trial Version - Only access to logon schema (e.g. in schema browser)

I only see the resources of the logon schema (e.g. in schema browser) allthough I have the rights to access other schemas too. Is this due to trial version of Toad for Oracle Version 12.1 or are there other reasons?

Toad trial version is fully functional - not crippled in any way. In fact trial key includes optional DB Admin module usage - so in fact it’s quite powerful. You may want to verify that you don’t have any options or filters set to limit what you see. My advice would be to download the free getting started using toad guide - it’s the best newbie reference. Look around on toad world or our support site - I don’t remember exactly where it is.

documents.quest.com/…/1921

is this 11G or 12c database (you are looking in plugable database with no additional schemas)?

Do you only see one schema in the schema dropdown box, or do other schemas exist in the dropdown, but when you choose one of them, you can’t see any tables or any other objects?

I am guessing the latter, which means that you don’t have privileges on any other objects in the database besides your own.

See “Toad without Code” and “Toad and Your Code” division of content - thanks to Bert!:

Download the guide here (under Content on the Wiki page for Toad on Toad World):

http://www.toadworld.com/products/toad-for-oracle/w/toad_for_oracle_wiki/10496.toad-for-oracle-documentation.aspx

Or view it online here:

http://documents.quest.com/Toad for
Oracle/12.1/Guide to Using Toad for Oracle/

From: Bert Scalzo [mailto:bounce-Bert_Scalzo@toadworld.com]

Sent: January 17, 2014 8:42 AM

To: toadoracle@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum] Trial Version - Only access to logon schema (e.g. in schema browser)

RE: Trial Version - Only access to logon schema (e.g. in schema browser)

Reply by Bert Scalzo

Toad trial version is fully functional - not crippled in any way. In fact trial key includes optional DB Admin module usage - so in fact it’s quite powerful. You may want to verify that you
don’t have any options or filters set to limit what you see. My advice would be to download the free getting started using toad guide - it’s the best newbie reference. Look around on toad world or our support site - I don’t remember exactly where it is.

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - General
notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Discussion Forum

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

Hello Bert,

thank you for help! In the document you recommended I found the hint "Notes:

l

Some Schema Browser features may not be available unless you have the commercial version of Toad with the DB Admin Module." That’s why I suppose the cause of the problem could be the trial version.

The trial includes the db admin module - so that will not be the source of the problem. I think John’s reply is the most likely culprit. Please look at his comments in the privs’.

I’m working with Oracle 11g DB version. There are a lot of other schemas.

I can change the schema by "ALTER SESSION SET current_schema = “”;

Also

SELECT owner, table_name

FROM all_tables;

works.

When I use other Clients like SQL Developer or squirrel i also can see all the schemas.

I used an older version of Toad before. Also with this version I had now problems to see all the schemas using the same Oracle user.

There is only the logon schema in the drop down box. Also in the “Current Schema” Drop-Down box there is only the logon schema. In “Customize Schema Dropdown” window there is no entry for available Schemas.

Try this: Rt-click in schema dropdown. Choose “Users to load” and set it to “Load all users”.

Thank you, that works! Sorry for bothering you. It’s so simple!

It’s no bother. I am glad to help.

Yesterday I was able to see all schemas in schema browser due to John’s hint. Now I’m not able to see the tables of other users except o Logon user. I always get the Oracle error message “ORA-00942: table or view does not exist”. I get this error also when I click on a table name of a table from logon user in schema browser.

To see the query that Oracle is giving you this error on, from the main menu, click Database -> Spool SQL -> Spool to screen. This will cause every query that Toad executes to be displayed at the bottom of the screen. It will tell you which one threw the error. Let me know which query that is and then I can tell you how to prevent the error.

When I browse the tables of logon user the following statement is generated:

Select user, object_name, created, last_ddl_time, object_id from sys.user_objects

Where object_type = ‘TABLE’

order by object_name

That works!

When I browse the tables of a different user in schema browser the following statement is generated:

Select t.table_name,t.owner, t.cluster_name,

t.partitioned, t.iot_type, t.tablespace_name, t.last_analyzed, round(t.num_rows) num_rows

, t.temporary, t.table_type, t.table_type_owner, t.nested

, decode(nvl(tablespace_name, ‘x’) || upper(partitioned) || nvl(iot_type, ‘x’) || to_char(pct_free), ‘xNOx0’, ‘YES’, ‘NO’) is_External

, t.dropped

, t.initial_extent

from sys. t

where 1=1

and t.owner = :own

order by table_name

Error: ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

Substitution of prarameter :own did not take place and table name in from clause is not correct.

Hm - that looks like a bug. If you go into the main menu -> View -> Toad Options, then click “Startup” in the tree on the left (near the bottom) - is “Check for access to DBA views” checked? If not, check it.

It is already checked.

I think the problem is just that the table name (ALL_ALL_TABLES or DBA_ALL_TABLES) isn’t being inserted into the query. That’s a bind variable, not a substitution variable.

I can’t reproduce the problem and I’m not sure why it’s happening yet, but maybe unchecking that option will solve the problem. In that case, Toad should just use the ALL_ views (or USER_ views if you are looking in your own schema)

Even when I uncheck this option the problem still occures.

There are also other SQL errors and when I connect to the DB I got the following message:

ORA-06550: line 38, column 7:

PLS-00302: component ‘DBMS_APPLICATION_INFO’ must be declared

ORA-06550: line 38, column 3:

PL/SQL: Statement ignored

Maybe there is a more general problem with my installation or configuration of Toad.