Troubles connection to mariadb

hi everyone, i cant connect to my database wich is on mariadb...
connection is ok with heidi, but i have an error using toad data point and I cant figure out...
could someone help me??

System.InvalidCastException
Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types.
Stack Trace:
at System.DBNull.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.LoadCharacterSets(MySqlConnection connection)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Configure(MySqlConnection connection)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Open()
at Quest.Toad.MySQL.MySQLConnection.OpenInitialTestConnection()
at Quest.Toad.MySQL.MySQLConnection.DoBeforeConnect()
at Quest.Toad.Db.Connection.Connect(Boolean notify)
at Quest.Toad.Db.Provider.BackgroundConnector.CreateBackgroundConnection()

Welcome to the TDP community here at ToadWorld, David.

For issues like this, involving stack traces, it's always best to create a Quest support ticket.

Having said that, are you trying to connect to the database using TDP's MariaDB connector (preferred), or the MySQL connector?

Hi
Both of them...

-------- Message d'origine --------

OK... if you're getting an error message using either of the connectors, and you're sure that the credentials for connection are valid, best to open up a Support Ticket so that Quest engineers can troubleshoot.

The error message "Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types" means that Toad for MySQL is trying to cast a value that is null to another type. This can happen if the database server returns a null value for a column that is not nullable.

In the case of your problem, Toad for MySQL is trying to connect to a server that is running a new feature called "strict mode". When strict mode is enabled, the database server will return null values for columns that are not nullable.

Toad for MySQL v 8.1.0.296 does not support strict mode. This is why Toad is trying to cast a null value to another type, and is getting the error message "Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types".

There are two solutions to this problem:

1 Update Toad for MySQL to a version that supports strict mode (that would be Quest).
2 Disable strict mode on the DB server (good luck with that).

I just ran into the same issue. I believe this StackOverflow post might offer all the needed information for Quest to fix the issue on their end.

tldr: MariaDB allows null values for certain fields that used to be non-nullable.. It seems the recommended "fix" is to switch from using MySql.Data.MySqlClient to using MySqlConnector.

It looks like the issue started in MariaDB version 10.10, so using 10.9 can be a workaround until this is resolved on Quest's side.

Hi everyone - we have added this defect to our backlog. We cannot commit to a date yet for the fix. We do have a release planned for December (version 6.2) but engineering has not confirmed yet if this will be in this release.

For a workaround, you should be able to connect using the "ODBC Generic" connector and specifying the ODBC driver specifically.

I'm having this problem also. Toad Data Point 6.1.2.24 (64 bit).

Posting here as my "vote" for fixing this in the next release.

ODBC is problematic and has limited functionality, such as not being able to browse stored procedures.

Hi,
I am facing the trouble and not able to connect to mariaDB 10.11.7 version latest release.
Not able to find any solution yet.. is there any update or fix version i need to download other -version, I am using Toad 7.3.. Can anyone suggest what could be the fix or workaround..

System.InvalidCastException
Object cannot be cast from DBNull to other types.
Stack Trace:
at System.DBNull.System.IConvertible.ToInt32(IFormatProvider provider)
at System.Convert.ToInt32(Object value, IFormatProvider provider)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.LoadCharacterSets(MySqlConnection connection)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.Driver.Configure(MySqlConnection connection)
at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlConnection.Open()
at Quest.Toad.MySQL.MySQLConnection.OpenInitialTestConnection()
at Quest.Toad.MySQL.MySQLConnection.DoBeforeConnect()
at Quest.Toad.Db.Connection.Connect(Boolean notify)
at Quest.Toad.Db.Provider.BackgroundConnector.CreateBackgroundConnection()

Had this trouble too. The only solution I found was to downgrade to maria db 10.4
Support told me they won't integrate soon

Unfortunately, downgrading is not an option for us. We have too many applications using the 10.11 version.

As I mentioned before, my experience with the ODBC workaround shows that it is problematic and has limited functionality, such as not being able to browse stored procedures.