Toad World® Forums

Version Manager files

Hi,
Can you explain how VM handles files?
Some of my questions are;

• It seems that the Server Projects.xml is not updated with any new versions I add until I close TDM. Is this the case?
  • If my PC crashes will TDM be able to recover local versions that are not yet save back to the server?
  • When I close TDM are my changes merged into Server Projects.xml to preserve any changes my colleagues have made while I have been working?
  • Local .txv files seem to remain. When/how can they be deleted.
    Thanks
    Malcolm

• It seems that the Server Projects.xml is not updated with any new versions I add until I close TDM. Is this the case?
    No, Version Manager tries to save any change that was made. You should see “File has been saved” messages in the Message Explorer.

• If my PC crashes will TDM be able to recover local versions that are not yet save back to the server?
    Version Manager can use the last saved version - you have to Check-In for that. It’s like the work flow with any other models. You have to save them to have your modifications preserved.

• When I close TDM are my changes merged into Server Projects.xml topreserve any changes my colleagues have made while I have been working?
    The changes should be updated immediately, see the first notice

• Local .txv files seem to remain. When/how can they be deleted.
    The .txv files are local images of the files versions from server, they can be safely deleted when you don’t need to work on the corresponding file. (You have no lock on the file.)
    They can be deleted with Operating System’s “Delete File” feature like any other files

Just some additional information (taken from the TDM documentation on VM):

How VM handles files:
Check Out - Selected version will be loaded from a server to your local file where it is editable. On the server, the version will be locked automatically and is read-only for others.

Check In - When you check in the version, it will be saved to your local disc where it will be locked and become read-only. On the server, the version will be automatically unlocked and possible changes will be applied on the server. The version will become accessible for others then.

Generally, Server Projects.xml is updated after each Check In.
(Note: The Check In doesn’t mean you always have to save the changes to new versions/revisions. In TDM3, you can work on the same version for a long time and save the changes continuously. - See the Check In dialog, Overwrite Current Version option and the Finish Work on Model checkbox clear.)

.TXV files - They are stored in the path you define in the Settings | Options | Version Manager.
E.g. my path is:
C:\Documents and Settings\vnitrova\Application Data\Quest Software\Toad Data Modeler\VersionManager\Local\Download\TestProject1.

Hope this info helps.

Vladka