xsd or xml schema for dmx files

Is there a xsd or xml schema available for the dmx export files? Has anyone implemented a java class to read/write these files?

thanks,
chas

Hello Chas,

No, it’s not available.
Can we ask you why you need it? What’s the purpose? Thanks.
Then, we will be able to better consider the importance or priority of your request.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,

Vladka & TDM Team

There are two uses. The first use is a one-shot use. I need to fix a legacy model. I have a model with 101 tables and no constraints. I need to add constraints by matching up the column names across tables.

The second use is ongoing. I want the model to feed a schema version tool. The tool will determine what version of the schema is actually deployed and apply delta dml to update the database.

thanks,
chas

Hello Chas,

Thanks for your reply.

We've discussed this issue with Peter. Here I'm with some information for you.

There are two uses. The first use is a one-shot use. I need to fix a legacy model. I have a model with 101 tables and no constraints. I need to add constraints by matching up the column names across tables.

You can do it directly in TDM 3. Please find attached an example package that Peter has made for you. It's just an example of how this issue can be solved in TDM 3. You can modify the package at your convenience (it's a user package).

Instructions:

1. Copy the package to the directory where your user package (user.txg) is stored.
    Possible path: C:\Documents and Settings\vnitrova.PROD\My Documents\Toad Data Modeler\Packages{DCB5CB9B-CF65-4350-86B5-285D246FC5AC}

-> So next to the user.txg package there is also the Example1.txg package in this directory now.

1. Run TDM 3.

2. See your models listed in the Application View. The package has been made for the first model in the A. View, so activate the first model in the Application Window. (You can change it in the script - will be mentioned later.)

3. Create several attributes in any entities and name them 'AAA'. - Just to be able to see how the Peter's package works.

4. Open the Stamp dialog of the model | tab General. See the 'Example1' button.
    Peter has modified the form and chosen right this dialog for the button. (This can be changed as well.)

5. Click the 'Example1' button.
    Result: All entities of the model and all their attributes will be checked out. For those attributes that have the 'AAA' name, a check constraint will be added automatically.
    Note: If you open the Message Explorer, you will see the process.

6. Double-click any 'AAA' attribute | tab Check Constraints | a new item My Check Constraint will be there.

So, this is how it works.

If you open Package Explorer, you will see the new Example1 package listed there.

Now you would like to modify the script at your convenience:

1. Open the Script Explorer | Example1 Folder. There, the 'FmModelTitleEdit' script can be found.
  2. Double-click the script. -> It will open in the Script Editor.
  3. Go through the script and modify it at your convenience. To save the changes, press Commit (Rollback cancels changes).
    The changes will be saved in the script. As soon as you close TDM, they will be saved in the package automatically.

Chas, I hope this information will help you a little. I believe you and other users will be impressed by how TDM 3 is customizable.

Tip! - See the Library section and download the TDMReference.chm document. I'm sure you will find it handy.

http://modeling.inside.quest.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=29&externalID=602

Direct download:
http://modeling.inside.quest.com/servlet/KbServlet/download/602-102-918/tdmreference.zip

At the moment, we are working on the complete documentation. As soon as it's finished, it will be published in the community.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have any questions, please write us back.

Regards,

Vladka & Peter
example1.txg (3.71 KB)