Advanced Popup Menu

A little plug for the rt-click menu in Editor and elsewhere. There was a beta post mention the other day, but if that's all it gets and a note in the help it'll never be seen.

Toad now supports Shift+RtClick in the Editor, Object Palette, Spool SQL memo, Object Search, Session Browser, and several other windows. Shift+RtClick on an object reference you get the entire Schema Browser menu embedded within the normal context menu. It's a pretty handy shortcut for accessing features of the Schema Browser from elsewhere and it's likely familiar to many of you who use Shift+RtClick in Windows Explorer for command prompt.

To some degree this feature already existed via the Action Console (Shift+F4). Recent improvements to the Schema Browser menus made the captions used in the Action Console difficult to interpret. As a result, Action Console of old has been removed. All Action Console references in context menus and toolbars have been removed. For keyboard users Shift+F4 will continue to work, but it now shows the Schema Browser menu in entirety. Shift+RtClick is the new method of getting to all features of the old Action Console and more.

Michael

That's great! Thank you for that enhancement. Sadly, I didn't even realize that Shift F4 was an option. I would have been using that a lot! :slight_smile:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 1:13 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

Advanced Popup Menu

Thread created by Michael Staszewski
A little plug for the rt-click menu in Editor and elsewhere. There was a beta post mention the other day, but if that's all it gets and a note in the help it'll never be seen.

Toad now supports Shift+RtClick in the Editor, Object Palette, Spool SQL memo, Object Search, Session Browser, and several other windows. Shift+RtClick on an object reference you get the entire Schema Browser menu embedded within the normal context menu. It's a pretty handy shortcut for accessing features of the Schema Browser from elsewhere and it's likely familiar to many of you who use Shift+RtClick in Windows Explorer for command prompt.

To some degree this feature already existed via the Action Console (Shift+F4). Recent improvements to the Schema Browser menus made the captions used in the Action Console difficult to interpret. As a result, Action Console of old has been removed. All Action Console references in context menus and toolbars have been removed. For keyboard users Shift+F4 will continue to work, but it now shows the Schema Browser menu in entirety. Shift+RtClick is the new method of getting to all features of the old Action Console and more.

Michael

To reply, please reply-all to this email.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Or Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum notifications altogether.

Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo
Digital Products & Strategies, Cru | Data Sciences & Analytics
Office :phone: 407-515-4452

phyllis.helton@cru.org

You’re welcome. This was a last minute addition and I tried to hit as many places as possible in the short time I had. If you see any place where it would be beneficial please let me know as soon as possible and I’ll take a look. Adding it to existing popups is fast provided it’s a normal Delphi popup component.

Something came up worth noting. It uses the same resolution logic as Describe. When an object reference is ambiguous Describe displays a select window to choose one. That works well, but is a little cumbersome from a context menu. If an object doesn’t show the advanced menu items that means one of two things.

1. It’s an object type unsupported by Describe (not many of those).
  2. The object reference is ambiguous.
    For an ambiguous reference you can force the issue by fully qualifying it or using the Current Schema dropdown. There’s a suggested tweak for this issue, but it’s too late to address in this cycle.

Michael

If you aren’t sure if it’s an ambiguous reference or not, do a CTRL+D -> type in the object name -> Enter.

I'm not sure if this is me or Windows 10 or the beta, but I am on the latest beta and only get a brief hint of a shadow that quickly disappears when do Alt-Right-Click on an object in the Editor. I know it isn't an ambiguous object, so that shouldn't be the reason for this. I've tried it on numerous objects that I know I have access to, but with the same results. . .

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:39 PM, John Dorlon bounce-jdorlon@toadworld.com wrote:

RE: Advanced Popup Menu

Reply by John Dorlon
If you aren't sure if it's an ambiguous reference or not, do a CTRL+D -> type in the object name -> Enter.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

what type of object is it?

What kind of shadow is it? Is it like the drop shadow that would normally appear behind the popup if you have those visual effects enabled? I just tried with and without all of the visual options enabled on Win7 and don’t see it. I don’t have Win10 to try at the moment.

It is such a quick "flash" of something. You are right that maybe it could be just a drop shadow without the menu showing up, but there is no way to tell.

What effects should I look to change? I have the Toad Options up and see that I'm using the Visual Style of Enhanced. I can try changing that if you think it would make any difference, but the real problem is that when I Alt-R-Click, I don't get any menu.

I've only been on Windows 10 for a week, and 3 of those days I wasn't using my computer because of a hurricane and no power. :slight_smile: I haven't decided if I like it or not yet. There are certainly some quirks that are annoying, but mostly related to programs that were written for previous versions with no upgrades available.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

Reply by Michael Staszewski
What kind of shadow is it? Is it like the drop shadow that would normally appear behind the popup if you have those visual effects enabled? I just tried with and without all of the visual options enabled on Win7 and don't see it. I don't have Win10 to try at the moment.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

64-bit beta and Win10… same for me. A brief flash of an outline then it goes away.

From: phyllis.helton_1150 [mailto:bounce-phyllishelton_1150@toadworld.com]

Sent: Friday, September 15, 2017 2:14 PM

To: toadoraclebeta@toadworld.com

Subject: RE: [Toad for Oracle - Beta Discussion Forum] Advanced Popup Menu

External Sender

Reply by phyllis.helton_1150

It is such a quick “flash” of something. You are right that maybe it could be just a drop shadow without the menu showing up, but there is no way to tell.

What effects should I look to change? I have the Toad Options up and see that I’m using the Visual Style of Enhanced. I can try changing that if you think it would make any difference, but the real problem is that when I Alt-R-Click, I don’t get any menu.

I’ve only been on Windows 10 for a week, and 3 of those days I wasn’t using my computer because of a hurricane and no power. :slight_smile: I haven’t decided if I like it or not yet. There are certainly some quirks that are annoying, but mostly related to programs that were written for previous versions with no upgrades available.

Or
Unsubscribe from Toad for Oracle - Beta Forum
notifications altogether.

Flag
this post as spam/abuse.

It is such a quick "flash" of something.

Is it right where the mouse is invoked and does it jump a bit? There is an annoying cursor change that shifts up and left a few pixels then back to where it should be. I haven't tracked that one down yet, but it's when Toad is busy resolving the object.

What effects should I look to change?

This would be a Windows option. I have no idea where it is in Win10, but in Win7 when you rt-click on Computer, go to Properties, select "Advanced system settings" you can set visual effects in there. I went whole hog and enabled everything to test. I saw the memo drop shadow, but only when appropriate. I then returned my settings to everything disabled. I'll look for Win10 access, but probably not until early next week.

So it doesn't flash each time I press the keys, but only occasionally. It is almost like the right edge of where I would expect the pop-up menu to be. A few times I also get the annoying cursor shift change thing you described, but that isn't what I'm getting here. . .

I do so searching around for visual effects. I don't remember changing many of the options, but did change a mouse effect or two because it was disappearing. I actually had to turn on the annoying mouse trails that I have never used before. :slight_smile:

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

Is it right where the mouse is invoked and does it jump a bit? There is an annoying cursor change that shifts up and left a few pixels then back to where it should be. I haven't tracked that one down yet, but it's when Toad is busy resolving the object.

This would be a Windows option. I have no idea where it is in Win10, but in Win7 when you rt-click on Computer, go to Properties, select "Advanced system settings" you can set visual effects in there. I went whole hog and enabled everything to test. I saw the memo drop shadow, but only when appropriate. I then returned my settings to everything disabled. I'll look for Win10 access, but probably not until early next week.

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

Interesting. I did find the options in the same place as you have them on Win 7. When I turn off the Fade or slide menus into view, the window appears for all of about a msec. Turning off Fade out menu items after clicking makes it a little clearer, but it still is gone in a flash. I unchecked all the boxes and checked them all and still can't get the menu to stay on the screen long enough to use it. So that might be the right direction, but it isn't getting me quite far enough along the road to help. :slight_smile:

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Phyllis Helton phyllis.helton@cru.org wrote:

So it doesn't flash each time I press the keys, but only occasionally. It is almost like the right edge of where I would expect the pop-up menu to be. A few times I also get the annoying cursor shift change thing you described, but that isn't what I'm getting here. . .

I do so searching around for visual effects. I don't remember changing many of the options, but did change a mouse effect or two because it was disappearing. I actually had to turn on the annoying mouse trails that I have never used before. :slight_smile:

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

All good info. Looks like I’ll be installing Windows 10 on Monday. :frowning:

On the bright side it looks like Azure has Windows 10 template there so that makes it easy. Here’s hoping I have enough “Visual Studio Credits” to install it! Azure is great until you need a client OS.

It's been a fun afternoon trying to get Toad and Windows 10 installed. First I found that I broke licensing for new registrations (John Bowman fixed) then to be bitten by the "Hide extensions for known file types" Windows folder option when creating tnsnames.ora. A couple of hours later... I can't reproduce. I tried 12.12 beta 32 and 64-bit as well as our current GA candidate build.

a brief hint of a shadow that quickly disappears when do Alt-Right-Click on an object in the Editor

I missed that you said Alt+RtClick. The feature triggers off of Shift+RtClick. When I do Alt+RtClick I see what you see I think. The popup attempts to show and quickly disappears. If you use Shift+RtClick does it work as expected?

Michael

Oh no! After all your work, this was one of those dumb user errors?!! I'm so sorry for causing you all those problems. Yes, I was trying the Alt+, not Shift. I would love to say it was because that is what you said the key combination was, but chances are it was just my brain thinking it heard something it didn't.

Thank you for taking all that time to make sure I can use this super cool feature!

Shift+ works great, I can see the new menu option just like I would expect to.

I think I'm going to blame this one on Hurricane Irma. Just for the principal of it. :slight_smile:

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Michael Staszewski bounce-mstaszew@toadworld.com wrote:

It's been a fun afternoon trying to get Toad and Windows 10 installed. First I found that I broke licensing for new registrations (John Bowman fixed) then to be bitten by the "Hide extensions for known file types" Windows folder option when creating tnsnames.ora. A couple of hours later... I can't reproduce. I tried 12.12 beta 32 and 64-bit as well as our current GA candidate build.

a brief hint of a shadow that quickly disappears when do Alt-Right-Click on an object in the Editor

I missed that you said Alt+RtClick. The feature triggers off of Shift+RtClick. When I do Alt+RtClick I see what you see I think. The popup attempts to show and quickly disappears. If you use Shift+RtClick does it work as expected?

Michael

--
Phyllis Helton

Data Magician

Security Gestapo

phyllis.helton@cru.org

No worries, it revealed a good bug sooner rather than later plus I got to refresh the brain on how to install and configure Windows.

I think I'm going to blame this one on Hurricane Irma.

Hopefully Maria turns up and away from you guys - and up and away from NC too! Google Maps has updated satellite imagery in some portions of Caribbean (St. Maarten, Barbuda) showing impact of Irma. Quality is not great, but enough to see that those folks have a long road ahead of them.