After CPUjul2024 19cDB patch Version 19.24.0.0.0, TOAD connection fails

After CPUjul2024 19cDB patchset Version 19.24.0.0.0, TOAD connection fails. Error is generic/No detail error is captured: ORA-00001 NET: Invalid input arguments. TOAD version used are either TOAD 16. or 17. Please advise. Anyone else? Thanks in advance!

I have heard of this problem happening before but don't know exactly why upgrades/updates to the db cause this to happen. I am currently in the process of upgrading a database to try to reproduce it.

You can solve the problem by installing an Oracle client and use that to connect, rather than using Toad in the no-client mode.

Curious -- is the Listener for that DB also running on the same 19.24 ORACLE_HOME?

Rich

Rich. Yes. We do have DB listener running on the same DB 19.24 OH.

Hi,

I just tried this:

1. Installed Oracle 19c on windows 11
  2. Used opatch to install the latest patch set from Oracle - 19.24.0.0.0
  3. tested Toad connection to it both from the pc where database is and remotely
  4. I can connect in both cases (I tried both as SYS and as a normal user)

If you can provide any additional info to help me reproduce this, please do.

The ORA-00001 seems suspicious, as I can't think of a scenario where that could be returned except after a successful DB connection. Could there be a logon (or database) trigger failing post-patch?

Rich

I'm not saying that it isn't a login/db trigger, but....

ORA-00001 is a bogus error code. OP has Toad in no-client mode (I can tell by "NET" in the error message), so the error's not really coming from Oracle. At least not an ORA-00001. Our third party library that we're using for Oracle connectivity is just using that as a default.

I've heard a lot of reports of "NET: Invalid input arguments" after Oracle upgrades. Most of them seem to happen after update from 19c to 21c/ai. This is the first one I've heard of coming after a patch update. And so far, users can always work around it by using an Oracle client

Ahh...the flaw in my theory/testing as our uber-secure connections require the use of an Oracle Client.

I learned something today. And on a Friday, even...

Rich

Hi
I faced same problem after Jul2024 patch, It happens only if you connect directly and you did not install Oracle Client and there is some SSL parameters in sqlnet.ora by default in EXACC, After I installed oracle client I can connect using Oracle Client Home. Now If I do not have an oracle client, how Toad connects to Oracle . where is the built in driver used by Toad to connect to Oracle to update this driver?
Thanks

Hi @mamin

Yup, it's a known issue in no-client mode that we are still trying to reproduce. Can you share your sqlnet.ora? There is no internal driver that you can update. It's something we have to fix.

I patched 19.3 to 19.24, on Windows 11. Can you tell me anything else about your database and/or the update?

Thank you.

-John

Hi

sqlnet.ora

HTTPS_SSL_VERSION=1.2
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT=ACCEPTED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER=ACCEPTED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_CLIENT=(SHA256,SHA384,SHA512,SHA1)
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_TYPES_SERVER=(SHA256,SHA384,SHA512)
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_CLIENT=REQUESTED
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER=REQUESTED
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_CLIENT=(AES256,AES192,AES128)
SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_TYPES_SERVER=(AES256,AES192,AES128)
SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME=10
SQLNET.IGNORE_ANO_ENCRYPTION_FOR_TCPS=TRUE
SQLNET.WALLET_OVERRIDE=FALSE
SSL_CIPHER_SUITES=(SSL_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,SSL_ECDHE_ECDSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384,SSL_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_128_GCM_SHA256,SSL_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)
SSL_CLIENT_AUTHENTICATION=FALSE
SSL_VERSION=1.2

If I removed those parameters from sqlnet.ora, it works fine . those parameters are defaults in ExaCC ( Exadata Cloud @ Customer)
Thanks

We had two machines. one worked, the other gave connection issues.

without InstantClient:
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT=ACCEPTED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER=ACCEPTED
Connection fails.

SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT=REQUIRED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER=REQUIRED
Connection fails

SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_CLIENT=REJECTED
SQLNET.CRYPTO_CHECKSUM_SERVER=REJECTED
Connection works.

With instantClient 23:
Connection works on all.

hope that helps?

1 Like

Thanks Paul. Sounds like we've got it narrowed down. I'm setting up another server to test this.

Thanks John and all others to add more info. On our agency, we did find out, and narrowed it down to this SQLNET.ora parameter:
< SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER=REQUESTED

set this to REQUESTED to ENABLE encryption

#SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER=REQUESTED

set this to ACCEPTED to DISABLE encryption

SQLNET.ENCRYPTION_SERVER=ACCEPTED

Only when we DISABLE the encryption (change it to ACCEPTED) on ORACLE DB 19.24, toad connection works.

1 Like

I can reproduce the problem now.

1 Like

Nice! Just started our 19.24 patch cycle last night and hit this issue this morning. Easy workaround for us to just use the external client.

Thanks John!
Rich

This will be fixed next beta. Thanks to all of you who reported this and helped diagnose the cause

Thanks John. For our work, trying to push Oracle Client to individual PCs are not the direction we can pursue at this point. Also, on clouds, we cannot disable the encryption settings that we have recently put in. So, would you be able to tell me please, when the next version with the 'fix' can be available for us? Thanks.

The beta will be available on Monday.
This version will be available non-beta in October.

If you want to use the beta and are in a hurry to do so, I can push out a new version and have it available within a couple of hours. Let me know if you want to do that.